SDSU ends season on high note

The San Diego State women’s volleyball team concluded its season by hosting the Aztec Turkey Time Tournament at Peterson Gym this weekend. Teams that participated alongside SDSU were the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos and the Pittsburgh Panthers.

On Friday the Aztec’s first opponent were the Gauchos. Equal talent on both teams led the game into four sets, where UCSB defeated SDSU 3-1.

Sophomore outside hitter Summer Nash led the team with a total of 18 kills, and also beat her personal record of total kills in one game.

On Saturday the Aztecs came to the Peterson Gym eager to finish their season with a win against Pittsburg. SDSU held a lead throughout the first set, which led to a 25-20 victory. However, the Panthers came into the second set with an enthusiasm they lacked in the first, which the Aztecs struggled to keep up with. Pittsburgh stole the second set from SDSU with a 25-19 win.

The third set was close, with the score tied the majority of the time. The third set was taken into overtime because of junior libero Kristi Jackels’ 16 digs, Nash’s 13 kills and junior middle blocker Andrea Hannasch’s 10.

SDSU proved it wanted the victory and scored two back-to-back points, winning the set 27-25, and led the game 2-1.

The Panthers were no match for the Aztecs the remainder of the game, and fell short in the fourth set to SDSU 25-22. The team proudly ended its season by improving its overall record to 18-10, and earned the most wins since 2003.

SDSU head coach Deitre Collins-Parker is pleased with the way this season turned out.

“We’ve shown a lot of improvement this season and that’s what is most important,” she said. “We also have the majority of our team coming back next year which will help too.”

SDSU ends season on high note