FILM & FASHION ISSUE: 2012’s most likely blockbuster

By Matthew Carter, Staff Writer

What began in 2008 with “Iron Man” will ultimately culminate in the summer of 2012 with Marvel’s sure-to-amaze “The Avengers.”

At the conclusion of last summer’s “Iron Man 2,” the audience is privy to the presence of not only the Mighty Thor’s hammer but the construction of Captain America’s shield. Both heroes are key members of the “Avengers,” and both have films set to be released next year. Comic book fans and moviegoers alike will rejoice when this powerhouse team is finally assembled for the big screen. The film will also include Hawkeye, War Machine and the Incredible Hulk. Marvel hasn’t attempted to bring so many characters to life in the same film since the “X-Men” franchise.

With “The Avengers” currently in pre-production, scant details have been released about the film. Audiences do know Mark Ruffalo has been cast as Bruce Banner (The Incredible Hulk), a part Edward Norton played in the 2008 reboot, “Hulk.” Transitioning of actors is a constant risk for superhero films, and often affects how the movie will play out at the box office. The jury is still out on how newcomer Andrew Garfield will handle taking Tobey Maguire’s role in the currently untitled Spider-Man reboot despite the fact that fans panned “Spider-Man 3.”

Look for “The Avengers” to match the success of films such as “The Dark Knight” in summer 2012.

Movie: The Avengers

Directed by: Joss Whedon

Release Date: May 4, 2012

Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Samuel L. Jackson, Don Cheadle