FILM & FASHION ISSUE: Fashionable finds at affordable prices

Leopard prints are huge this fall, but giraffe and tiger prints are spot on, too. (Stephanie S. Cordle/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/MCT)

By Sarah Kovash, Assistant News Editor

The belief a person needs to be rich and wear designer clothes to be fashionable is a long-standing one and frankly, it is not always the case.

Inevitably, most people at San Diego State probably consider themselves poor college students, but relief should come from knowing a trip to a local Target can result in great finds for fashion.

Not only has Target stepped up in the last few years by offering current trends in its own in-house line of clothing, but it’s also paired up with top designers for its Go International line to offer more affordable options to some of those pricey ready-to-wear lines.

The first brand Target introduced as part of the Go International label was Luella Bartley, and since then the company has brought numerous high-end designer names such as Proenza Schouler, Jean Paul Gaultier and Behnaz Sarafpour into the store.

Many times when designer labels are sold to a lower-end mass retailer such as Target, it’s to save a dying brand. However, this doesn’t seem to be the case with the Go International line, so don’t be afraid to buy trendy favorites at a better price.

It’s similar to buying a knockoff, but better because the clothes are still designed by more expensive designers.

Likewise, Kohl’s has made it easier to get great pieces from design legend, Vera Wang. The items offered from the Simply Vera Vera Wang line are hard to distinguish from her higher -priced lines and don’t exceed much more than $80, which is far less expensive than her other items shoppers might find at Neiman Marcus.

Everyone is aware the economy is in a bad state right now, including retailers. So take advantage of the great deals offered on designer fashions and feel good about the savings.