San Diego loves breakfast

Mark DuFrene/Contra Costa Times/MCT

The first meal of the day is my absolute favorite. Why? Ask any doctor, dietician or serious foodie and they will tell you the same thing: Breakfast is good for you. It gets your metabolism revving and keeps you energized throughout the day. Also, for those of us who spent Saturday night out dancing to various Lady Gaga songs, breakfast or brunch is the best way to get rid of a nasty hangover.

Luckily, if you want breakfast, San Diego’s got you covered. For some reason this city has an obsession with the early morning meal and there are restaurants galore to prove it. Want huge portions? Hash House a Go Go is a must. Need some culinary treats? Everyone knows The Mission has you covered. But there are a few gems in this city that tend to get overlooked, and that’s what I’ll be showing you today.

1. The Cottage

7702 Fay Ave. (La Jolla)

If I could only eat breakfast once more, this would be the place I’d come. The only bad thing about The Cottage is the line, but the owners are so willing to accommodate you that they provide blueberry cake and coffee while you wait. In fact, customer service here is so superb you’d be hard-pressed to find a better eatery in the area.

The restaurant has efficient servers, they’re quick despite the crowds, and are always smiling. You’ll notice the restaurant manager is also charming and will oblige to just about any request.

The best thing, however, is the food. Its stuffed French toast, filled with strawberries and mascarpone cheese, will cause you to hear a choir of angels singing with each bite. I’m also a fan of their Windansea omelet, which has hollandaise sauce oozing atop a bed of fluffy eggs and savory havarti cheese. Don’t leave without taking some crumb cake to go; it’s the secret specialty people rarely order.

2. Café 21

2736 Adams Ave.

Normally, it’s hard to trust a brunch spot that shares a sidewalk with a liquor store, but don’t let appearances fool you. This Mediterranean restaurant has one of the most interesting menus in all of San Diego.

The cuisine here certainly has personality. There are a variety of normal breakfast foods, such as omelets or pancakes, but there’s also interesting choices such as salmon or pound cake.
Let the owner, Alex, talk you into getting something he likes; he helps cook many of the items himself, so he knows what’s best.

Want something savory? Try the turkey or prosciutto crepe. And if you happen to come here while lunch is being served simultaneously (usually that happens on weekends) there’s certainly no harm in trying a hearty Monte Christo sandwich.

If you can, try to get outside seating since the interior can get a little cramped. Either way, the owner or a member of his happy staff will serve you, smiles always included.

3. The Eggery

4150 Mission Blvd.

Pacific Beach residents, I’m always going to help you out despite this particular neighborhood having limited food options. For future reference, PB doesn’t have the best restaurants. Bars, yes, cafés, no. But thankfully there is solace in The Eggery.

If you like eating while waves are crashing less than a block away, this is the place for you. Right next to the shore, The Eggery is a good place to eat before or after a morning surf session.

The extensive menu has plenty of mouthwatering options for those wanting a full meal. Mexican breakfasts include a goliath burrito made with all the favorite fixings. If you’re a mindful eater, take a look at the “healthy-light” section of the menu for some low-cal options. They even have cholesterol-free eggs for the most weight-conscious diner.

But if you want to go big or go home, try the breakfast quesadilla. Remember, wait a little while after eating this concoction before hitting the waves. You might want to lie on the beach and get some rays while digesting this particular meal.

San Diego loves breakfast