Rebels run down the Aztecs

Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor
Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor

The anticipation for Saturday’s game against No. 14/16 (AP Top-25 poll and ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll, respectively) UNLV rivaled that of the Feb. 26 matchup with BYU last season.

In the week leading to the game, the focus was not so much on the Aztecs and Runnin’ Rebels on the court, but on members of “The Rebellion,” UNLV’s student section, and “The Show.” A Twitter war broke out that included hashtags “#LastTimeUNLVBeatSDSU” and “#FunnierThanUNLVFans.”

But when the clock struck 1 p.m. on Saturday afternoon, it was time for the actual game, and it turned out to be a good one at that.

Despite being down as many as 13 points, the No. 13/14 San Diego State men’s basketball team made a second-half comeback to take a one-point lead with less than two minutes to play, but ultimately could not hold on, losing on the road to UNLV 65-63.

SDSU turned the ball over three times in the last 42 seconds, including the last possession when UNLV junior guard Justin Hawkins stripped the ball from sophomore guard Xavier Thames to seal the victory for the Runnin’ Rebels.

“Justin (Hawkins) made a good play on the ball,” Thames said. “I tried to cross over and come back to my right. Justin has long arms. He’s a good defensive player. He made a good play.”

The loss drops the Aztecs to 20-4 overall and 6-2 in Mountain West Conference play.

It was SDSU’s first loss to UNLV in the last seven games between the two teams.

“We just missed on some key opportunities,” junior guard Chase Tapley said. “We turned the ball over. They got the offensive rebound on a missed free throw. We got to learn to capitalize on those opportunities.”

Tapley led all scorers with a game-high 22 points, including 16 in the second half to get SDSU back in the game. Sophomore guard Jamaal Franklin scored 15 points.

Sophomore forward Mike Moser finished with 19 points and nine rebounds for UNLV (22-4, 6-2 MWC), despite missing his first five shots of the game. He would find his stroke near the end of the first half, scoring nine points to lead a 15-4 run that gave UNLV a 37-29 halftime lead.

Thames would make a long 3-pointer to end the first half for SDSU, but it was ultimately taken away as Thames had released the ball after the buzzer sounded.

SDSU returns home to play the University of New Mexico at 7:15 p.m. on Wednesday night at Viejas Arena.

Rebels run down the Aztecs