SDSU drops a close one

Sophomore Lorena Klopp leads SDSU in home runs with a career total of 19. | SDSU Athletics

Although the San Diego State softball team was tied or led the majority of the game, the momentum shifted in favor of No. 16 / 11 Oregon when it took the lead and the win with a walk-off pinch-hit RBI double in the bottom of the seventh inning.

In its sixth and final match on Sunday at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz., SDSU (3-3) suffered a difficult 5-4 defeat against Oregon (3-2). This was the third one-run loss of the season for the Aztecs.

“We just hit good enough to get the lead but we didn’t execute the rest of the game,” head coach Kathy Van Wyk said.

Sophomores Lorena Klopp and Hayley Miles each homered early in the game. Just six games into her second season, Klopp has already hit four home runs and is now SDSU’s all-time leader in home runs with a career total of 19.

Defensively, SDSU gave up 12 hits and left 12 runners on base. In five of the seven innings, the Aztecs allowed the leadoff batter to get on base. SDSU finished the tournament with three wins and three losses.

“It was encouraging and discouraging at the same time. As a whole, we hit the ball very well. We had 12 home runs this weekend and all the games were very close,” Van Wyk said.

SDSU is now preparing for its next tournament where it is set to host the 22nd annual Campbell/Cartier Classic this weekend beginning at 2 p.m. on Friday against Notre Dame at the SDSU Softball Stadium.

SDSU drops a close one