FILM & FASHION ISSUE: Autumn’s leopard prints and cable knits

A model displays a creation by French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier for Hermes spring-summer 2011 ready-to wear collection presentation held at Halle Freyssinet in Paris, France, on Wednesday, October 6, 2010. (Thierry Orban/Abaca Press/MCT)

By Morgan Denno, Staff Writer

At the risk of sounding completely cliché, camel is the new black. Camel is the color for fall. Black will always be wearable and chic, but for this season it’s definitely not the headlining color for daily wear. Most people will probably look at camel and think it won’t look good with their complexion, but it’s actually one of the most flattering. The rule is to always choose a tone that complements complexion (not too similar or nude looking). Grey, brown and white are also extremely wearable colors for the fall and are all necessary basics for anyone’s closet.

The print for fall is leopard. The sensual yet fearless pattern turns heads with even the slightest touch to an outfit. Go out, have fun and pick out some leopard-print accessories. The leopard bag and belt are accessories that fluctuate in and out of style every couple of years. There’s an empowerment to wearing leopard because it causes every wearer (whether they admit it or not) to feel extremely sexy.

The texture for fall is the heavy cable-knit. Perfect for cold days and reminiscent of the preppy Northeast, the knit has a masculine quality that turns delicate when worn by a woman the right way. Don’t forget to take into account the use of volume. If you’re going with something heavy on top, stick to a more fitted bottom, and maybe even a belt to cinch the waist. Another very trendy texture this season is the use of shearling-lined coats, shoes, accessories and vests.

The use of shape in high-waisted, body-conscious and curve-enhancing clothes have become popular. Maybe it’s the popularity of Mad Men, maybe it’s the beautiful collections of Louis Vuitton or maybe it’s simply about time these shapes and silhouettes came back in style. The wardrobe of fall can be shown in these basic pieces, which might be in your closet already.

1. The trouser. Extremely popular in the Chloe fall collection, the high waist with the slightly flowing leg elongates the frame and allows the wearer to appear taller and slimmer. Also popular in denim, the trouser look can be worn casually or professionally.

2. The coat. Coats finish off an outfit with effortless style, yet can also be a defining part of a wardrobe. Items such as the trench coat are always popular and it’s OK to splurge on something that will always be wearable and fashionable for years to come. For anyone feeling trendy this season, go for a camel or leopard print-coat. For the more daring coat-wearer, opt for a bright color or eye-catching pattern.

3. The skirt. Marc Jacobs was making a statement by sending his models down the runway in skirts; not a pair of pants was in sight. Pencil is the tighter option, and the full skirt is the looser but perhaps more feminine choice.

4. The corset. Whether worn in the privacy of the bedroom or worn underneath a sweater or blazer for day use, the corset has made its comeback. The epitome of womanhood and the love of small waists, the corset can be a blend of sexuality and power. Though some may consider it a torture device, the corset has come a long way in comfort and style. The structure makes the wearer stand a bit straighter and enhances even the slightest of curves.

5. The sweater. Opt for a comfy boyfriend-inspired sweater, a snug cardigan or cable-knit classic — the sweater is a fashionable option for staying warm at any point in the year and can be worn with anything in almost any way. Another cute way to use sweater material is the thicker, knit sock, which can be worn from the ankle to even mid-thigh.