Aztecs settle for split at home

It was a historic weekend for the San Diego State women’s lacrosse team as it played its first two home games of its inaugural season. SDSU recorded its first-ever win on Friday, defeating Cincinnati 14-9.

Fueled by a spirited crowd, the Aztecs had a strong second half and pulled away to secure the special victory.

SDSU was led by four goals apiece from freshmen Bailey Ewing and Sophie Koubek. “It was very exciting to get our first win and it was nice to get the monkey off our back,” head coach Kylee White said. “The crowd turnout was outstanding and it was wonderful to see the students and community come out and support us.”

After the emotional win, the Aztecs were right back to the drawing board to prepare for their first Mountain Pacific Sports Federation game against UC Davis on Sunday. The quick turnaround proved to be problematic for SDSU, however, as it fell to 1-2 (0-1 MPSF) after an 18-7 loss to the Aggies, who were playing their first contest of the season.

Sophomore attacker Meris Walsh, who scored three goals on Sunday to give her a total of five in the season, identified the lack of energy and communication as potential reasons for the disappointing loss. “From the moment we came out we didn’t have the same energy we did on Friday,” Walsh said. “We didn’t talk enough and the silence hurt us.”

The Aztecs now have a 12-day break before their next game. White hopes to use the time to help her team improve specific areas such as basic fundamentals and defensive communication. “I’m actually excited to have this break,” White said. “We can come out with a couple new looks and keep learning. We need to keep learning every day.” SDSU will host Saint Mary’s at 7 p.m. on Friday.

Aztecs settle for split at home