FILM & FASHION ISSUE: Franco’s new role may be a winner

Courtesy of Fox

By David Nixon, Staff Writer

English filmmaker Danny Boyle’s new film “127 Hours” comes on the heels of his 2008 Academy Award best picture winner, “Slumdog Millionaire.” It is a true story about Aron Ralston (James Franco), an American mountain climber who hiked Utah’s Blue John Canyon in May of 2003. At some point on his hike, a boulder fell on his arm, trapping him in an abandoned part of the canyon. The movie will go on to show whether Ralston survived five pivotal days, (thus the title, “127 Hours”) in which he tried to save himself from certain death.

Critical buzz has been strong with emphasis focusing on Boyle’s unique direction and Franco’s powerful performance. A.O. Scott of The New York Times said Ralston’s “experience is disconcerting enough just to think about, and to see it recreated in Mr. Boyle’s characteristically fast-moving, immersive style is jarring, thrilling and weirdly funny.” Joe Morgenstern from the Wall Street Journal praised the movie by saying, “Mr. Franco is simply terrific, and Mr. Boyle’s trademark exuberance creates a dizzying succession of images that get the movie not only out of the canyon but into its hero’s mind.”

Be forewarned, several people have said “127 Hours” is an intense journey because of some of the events that happen when Ralston is stuck in the canyon, but this does not mean the film is a downer. The movie “127 Hours” has been hailed as a rewarding experience full of lively energy.

Movie: 127 Hours

Directed by: Danny Boyle

Release Date: Nov. 5

Starring: James Franco, Amber Tamblyn