Aztec baseball and tennis news

Up and down weekend

After losing four of its first five games, the San Diego State baseball team welcomed No. 21 Oregon State to Tony Gwynn Stadium last Friday.

It was a rude welcome as SDSU defeated the Beavers 18-2. The Aztecs opened the game with four first-inning runs and didn’t look back.

Junior designated hitter John Spirk had three hits and three RBIs to lead SDSU’s offensive onslaught.

Following the win against OSU, the Aztecs had a doubleheader on Saturday against Kansas State.

The Wildcats’ bats exploded in the third inning as they scored eight runs to build a nine-run lead. KSU didn’t stop scoring there, as it would score seven more runs and beat SDSU 15-7.

Center fielder Jared King led the Wildcats with four hits, three runs and an RBI. He was helped out by three hits, two RBIs and three runs scored by his teammate shortstop Jake Brown.

Aztec starter TJ Kendzora didn’t have his best outing as he surrendered eight earned runs, eight hits and three walks in two and two-thirds innings.

SDSU attempted to bounce back from the loss to KSU in its second game of the day against Pacific.

The Aztecs scored four runs in the eighth inning to come back from a three-run deficit and beat the Tigers 5-4.

Tennis news

The San Diego State men’s tennis team dropped its second match of the season to No.1 USC 7-0 on Friday.

The team, which is off to its best start since 1999, now has a record of 5-2. Both of its losses have came against teams residing in the Top 10 of the national rankings.

SDSU’s women’s tennis team also lost this weekend. SDSU’s setback came at the hands of St. Mary’s 6-1. The Lady Aztecs are now 2-7 this season.

Aztec baseball and tennis news