Titans’ pitching silences Aztecs’ bats

Cody Smith was one of three Aztecs to record a hit Tuesday. | Courtesy of SDSU Athletics

The San Diego State baseball team was dominated by Cal State Fullerton Tuesday evening, as it dropped a 3-0 decision while only recording three hits.

The SDSU offense, which has been inconsistent throughout the course of the young season, was again silenced in a game. This came just four days after an offensive outburst that saw the team put 18 runs on the board against Oregon State.

The Aztecs (3-6) were held hitless for the first four frames, until freshman Steven Pallares led off the fifth with a hit to left-center field. He advanced to third with one out in a 1-0 ball game before Fullerton lefty Tyler Peitzmeier struck out the next two hitters to end the scoring threat.

Despite allowing a run in the first inning, SDSU starter Ryan Doran eventually settled in and made a quality start, throwing six innings in which he allowed seven hits, struck out three and gave up three runs.

However, the junior, who made his first start of the year, was inevitably credited with the loss in a contest in which runs were at a premium. Freshman Adam Anawalt followed Doran’s start by tossing two scoreless innings.

On the other side, CSUF starter Dave Birosak, combined with four other Titan pitchers for the shutout, was credited with the win after pitching just one inning in which he retired the side in order.

Michael Lorenzen was the star of the game as he got three hits while playing center field and then came on to close the game with two outs in the ninth for Fullerton after a Spencer Thornton double that brought the tying run to the plate.

After returning home, SDSU will host the annual Aztec Invitational, resuming play at 7 p.m. on Thursday against Cal Poly.

Titans’ pitching silences Aztecs’ bats