Slater’s packs meaty flavor into each patty

Slater’s 50/50 burger stacks layers of decadent toppings on its famous half-beef, half-bacon patty. | Kayla Miller, Staff Photographer

What makes for the most delicious hamburger? For some, it may be the juicy toppings. For others, it may be the size of the burger itself. However, those who have tried Slater’s 50/50 know the secret to a perfect burger is in the patty.

Located in Liberty Station on Dewey Road, Slater’s challenges the quality and cult-followings of In-N-Out and Five Guys Burgers and Fries with its juicy patties consisting of 50 percent ground beef and 50 percent ground bacon. On top of this meat lover’s dream patty, Slater’s also offers its customers the option to customize their own burgers or pick from the restaurant’s praised burger designs.

The concept of Slater’s originated at a Chargers tailgate party when Scott Slater, founder of Slater’s 50/50, asked a local butcher to grind bacon for bacon burgers. After tasting something he liked, Slater, a former San Diego State political science major, decided a 50/50 burger would be the perfect product to sell at his new restaurant. Slater’s first location opened in 2009 in Anaheim and was quickly followed by another location in Huntington Beach. Slater’s San Diego location is the newest addition to the chain and offers the perfect environment for a decadent date or get-together.

The San Diego location welcomes Slater’s virgins with nice benches packed with customers waiting for a taste of the hyped 50/50 burgers. Not a fan of lines? Go on a weekday. Slater’s is a contemporary sports bar so it’s constantly busy, especially on weekends.

The restaurant boasts inside and outside dining areas. The outside area contains heat lamps and a full bar that is open all night. The inside area, on the other hand, is heavily decorated with fluorescent beer signs and black-and-white framed photos of ranches and farm animals. Inside, patrons can also find more than a dozen TVs to watch nationally televised sports games.

At the back of the restaurant sits a long, full-service bar comprised of more than 50 beers on tap. Slater’s offers beers such as Delirium Nocturum, Abita Purple Haze, Ballast Point and Guinness. Those looking for a less hoppy alternative may want to try Slater’s Bacon Mary, which is a Bloody Mary with a touch of bacon. Happy hour is from 3 to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. seven days a week.

Beyond its impressive selection of alcoholic beverages, Slater’s focuses on its hamburgers. Slater’s 50/50 burger, which includes the aforementioned 50 percent bacon and 50 percent ground beef patty, is topped with a sunny-side-up egg, avocado, pepper jack cheese and chipotle mayo. Another house favorite is the Peanut Butter and Jellousy, a Slater’s favorite and award-winner that includes Sterling Silver ground beef topped with thick-cut bacon, thick and creamy peanut butter and strawberry jelly. One bite into Peanut Butter and Jellousy and patrons may feel as if they’ve fallen in love. It arrives quick and strong, and right when it seems the dish will be there forever, it’s gone. It’s just that good. However, be sure to have enough beer or water to drink it down. The thickness can be overbearing.

Slater’s also offers customers a variety of sandwiches, appetizers and salads, but its hamburgers remain the center of attention.

Because the hamburgers at Slater’s are so monstrous, they are not served with fries. However, a side order of fries and a burger is the perfect size for two. Slater’s recommends an order of sweet potato fries served with pumpkin sauce. The sauce offers a sweet twist that pairs perfectly with the flavor of sweet potato fries. It tastes just like pumpkin pie. Other favorites are the regular French fries served with bacon-infused ketchup. For bacon lovers, this is heaven.

Whether or not diners are into the restaurant’s indulgent combination of bacon and ground beef, Slater’s will not disappoint. The wait may be long and a little frustrating, but it is definitely worth it. Stop by anytime between 11 a.m. and 2 a.m. for a go at Slater’s over-the-top-tasty treats.