Aztecs’ bats go quiet in loss

Freshman Greg Allen scored the team’s only run. | Peter Kluch, Senior Staff Photographer

The San Diego State baseball team was once again unable to get going offensively, as it dropped a 5-1 contest to a streaking University of San Diego squad Tuesday night at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

Despite starting with an early 1-0 lead courtesy of some opportunistic base-running from the speedy Greg Allen, who led off the first inning with a single and eventually made it home after a couple of wild pitches, SDSU would remain scoreless for the rest of the game.

USD’s Austin Bailey hit a bases-loaded double in the top of the second, which gave the Toreros pitching staff all the runs they would need and then some. Starter Dylan Covey, who was credited with the win, combined with four other pitchers for USD to hold the home team to just five hits.

Although it threatened to score in the eighth inning by loading the bases and recording back-to-back hits to lead off the ninth, SDSU was unable to cash in when it mattered.

The Aztecs have now lost five consecutive games, with their last victory on March 10. Freshman catcher Seby Zavala, who spoke of the team’s collective improvement after an extra-innings loss that began the streak, was the only SDSU player with multiple hits on the evening. Zavala has thrived in the midst of the team’s slump, and is now hitting .378 after moving into the starting role following Brad Haynal’s injury.

With the loss, the Aztecs drop to 9-12 this season, while USD improves to 18-6. The team will resume play when it hits the road to begin a four-game series against Cal Poly at 6 p.m. on Friday in San Luis Obispo.

Aztecs’ bats go quiet in loss