Adams Ave pulls the plug

Gregory Page and John C. Reilly will be among the Unplugged. | Courtesy of Masen Larsen
Gregory Page and John C. Reilly will be among the Unplugged. | Courtesy of  Masen Larsen

Sure, Tupac was a hologram at last week’s weekend one of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, and weekend two is sold out. What is a San Diegan to do when looking to satisfy their festival urges? Well, the inaugural Adams Avenue Unplugged is taking place this Saturday and Sunday in several local neighborhoods. Best part? It’s completely free, no layaway plan needed. Produced by the Adams Avenue Business Association, the festival will feature many local singer-songwriters, and Americana, folk and blues artists. It will be taking over Adams Avenue all the way from University Heights, through Normal Heights and into Kensington.

There will be more than 170 artists on 33 stages, sponsored by local bars and restaurants. The music kicks off at 11 a.m. on Saturday and concludes at 9 p.m. and runs from noon to 7 p.m. on Sunday. Highlights of the festival include local legend Gregory Page performing on the Kadan stage (4696 30th St.) at 5:30 p.m. Saturday and also Sunday at the Adams Park Main Stage (Adams Avenue and Mansfield Street) at 12:30 p.m.; actor John C. Reilly, hopefully reprising his role as Dewey Cox, is also performing on Saturday at the Sanctuary stage at 4:30 p.m.

For those who consider day drinking a favorite pastime, there will be a beer garden both days, open 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., located at 4649 Hawley Blvd. It will feature local craft beer celebrities Stone Brewing Co. and Karl Strauss Brewing Company, alongside Song Swap, in which performing musicians will stop by for memorable acoustic performances while festival-goers can enjoy their IPAs and pale ales. There will also be numerous food vendors from throughout the city and bazaar-style arts and crafts booths to peruse while enjoying the live acoustic music.

MCT Campus
MCT Campus

Public transportation to and from the area is encouraged because of street closures and very limited street parking. There will be a free trolley service, bus routes 11 (which leaves from SDSU Transit Center) and 2 and also a bicycle valet service at Adams Avenue and Hawleys Boulevard sponsored by Brooklyn Bikes.

Adams Ave pulls the plug