Playing like a Hurricane

Courtesy of Paradigm Talent Agency
Courtesy of Paradigm Talent Agency
Courtesy of Paradigm Talent Agency

Local San Diego band Little Hurricane might be fairly new to the music scene but it’s taking it by storm. The dirty blues-rock band, which likes to describe its sound as similar to the Black Keys, met via Craigslist in 2010. Drummer Celesta “CC” Spina placed an ad looking for another musician to play with when frontman and guitarist Anthony “Tone” Catalano responded. The two formed Little Hurricane after learning they both had a love for jazz.

Since first meeting, the boy-girl duo has been quite a busy pair. Little Hurricane was the first band to record a SoundDiego session, it won Best New Artist at the 2010 San Diego Music Awards and went on a four-month national tour after releasing its debut album “Homewrecker” in March last year. “Homewrecker” features 12 tracks such as the song “Give em’ Hell” where the two hauntingly echo separate verses until CC breaks into her drums and Tone rocks on the guitar for the repeated chorus,” which is almost sure to get stuck in the listener’s head. Little Hurricane’s newest project is releasing its debut album on vinyl, which will be available on May 1.

Little Hurricane recently went on tour again, but this time spread its music to large crowds at music festivals such as Lollapalooza and opening for M. Ward and the Shins at South By Southwest in Austin, Texas. Opening at SXSW is a huge change from a year ago when the band played at small venues throughout the city, but was subsequently picked up by indie label Roadrunner Records after handing out CDs. Little Hurricane will end its tour in San Diego where music lovers can hear them live at the Casbah this Saturday.

Playing like a Hurricane