Lowman builds blues charge

Courtesy of Ian Kasnoff
Courtesy of Ian Kasnoff

Some may say one is the loneliest number, but that is certainly not the case for the one-man musical machine Low Volts. The man behind the act is Tim Lowman. Alongside his friends, a drum kick and Silvertone guitar, Lowman creates a shockingly satisfying kick in the pants. He is the modern version of what James Dean would be as a dirty blues musician. Lowman released his debut album “Twist Shake Grind Break” last year to wide local acclaim, earning him San Diego Music Awards for Best New Artist and Best Blues Album.

All The Black Keys addicts out there will be instant fans of his songs, which embody the same dark and dusty corner of blues. “I Cried My Guts Out” starts with a simple, repetitive guitar riff sloshing around with angry lyrics, making for a perfect bluesy cocktail. Another track of the debut record “Huntin’ Feedin’ Drinkin’” is a road trip to hell and back during a lightning storm at night. “I’m just a bat in a cave, I’m trying my best to behave” are the opening lyrics, setting the tone for the song’s blackened soul.

The album’s title track, “Twist Shake Grind Break,” will shake listeners to the core while making them wonder where all the noise is coming from. It lets the uniqueness of being a one-man band take its own persona and musical genre.

Low Volts is not for the faint of heart; One Direction fans need not apply. It is in-your-face, on the table, blues-rock witchcraft, spellbinding the local music scene. Get wicked with the one-man band with a free show starting at 9 p.m. tomorrow night at the Riviera Supper Club and Turquoise in La Mesa.

Lowman builds blues charge