Fighting for the future

The show seeks to redefine woman’s societal norms. John Anderson, Entertainment Editor

Feminism. It’s one word that seems to stir up a lot of controversy, but for studio art senior Milada Belohlavek feminism means simply creating a world where women have equal rights and treatment for the next generation. Belohlavek decided to incorporate this passion for feminism with her studio art major into an art show. The show, which serves as her final project to complete her honors minor in interdisciplinary studies, is centered around women being strong and beautiful individuals.

“PARAGON: the woman’s role in art” explores the contrast between society’s definition of a woman and what a woman truly is.

“This art show aims to be a paragon (outstanding example) of one of two things: of the deficiencies of current societal norms and of a definition that is more honest, gentle and realistic,” Belohlavek said.

One of the deficiencies Belohlavek is referring to is the media’s images telling girls they must look a certain way to fit in with society.

“The idea of doing nothing and playing into every ad, commercial, show and movie that tells you in order to be beautiful you must be two sizes too small, hairless except for your head and have the face of a photoshopped supermodel makes me nauseous,” Belohlavek said.

One of the most troubling parts for Belohlavek is the physical and emotional consequences girls face from these unrealistic expectations.

“I do not believe the images of women that we are bombarded with on a daily basis help build healthy self esteem in young women,” Belohlavek said.

She explains these consequences, which are more common than many think, range from the extreme of eating disorders and plastic surgery to the everyday issue of girls not wanting to leave the house because of the way they look.

Ultimately, the art show is a way for Belohlavek to emphasize the world she wants to create for girls like her little sisters.

“I want to create a world where they will encounter many obstacles along their journey in doing great things but sexism will not be one of them,” Belohlavek said.

“PARAGON: the woman’s role in art” is free and takes place at 6 p.m. tonight in the Flor y Canto Gallery on campus. It showcases Belohlavek’s art and features pieces by San Diego State students Kaitlin Trataris, Kaegan Cusenbary, Alison Dunlevy, Sarah Lowry, Lilia Calip and Ariana Torres, who all agreed to contribute to support the cause.

Fighting for the future