Dive in and learn how to scuba San Diego style

Audrey Rynberg / Staff Photographer

Sarah Grieco, Managing Editor

San Diego is arguably one of the greatest cities in America for people with a sense of adventure. There are plenty of trails to hike, waves to ride and rocks to climb. But quite possibly the most daring sport to attempt in San Diego is scuba diving.

Thanks to clear waters and an abundance of wildlife, San Diego’s shores boast some of the best views for divers on the West Coast.

But before one simply can grab a tank full of Nitrox, there are a few steps to take for scuba safety.

Get certified

While it may be tempting to take a dive trip without becoming certified, it is not recommended. There are numerous safety precautions to learn before diving into the deep, and the best way to do that is through a certification course.

Two world-renowned diving instruction companies are PADI and NAUI. Both businesses offer scuba diving courses in major cities in the United States. PADI even offers an online course for convenience, but divers eventually need to practice underwater.

A downside to scuba certification is the price. Courses can cost between $200 and $500. However, once a scuba certification is completed, there is no need to recertify, as a scuba license lasts for life.

Find inexpensive gear

While local dive shops may be convenient when purchasing fins or masks, it is ultimately going to cost a lot of money. For college students on a budget, there are websites with deals on both new and used scuba gear. One of the most popular online dive shops preferred by pros is leisurepro.com. Divers can purchase gear at a low price and also have the option of trading or selling used equipment.

Get insurance

Even with a certification and proper equipment, scuba diving can still be dangerous. If injured while scuba diving, it is best to have a backup plan. Divers Alert Network is one of the only scuba-specific insurance companies for those taking the plunge. DAN doctors specialize in scuba-related injuries, and when a diver has DAN insurance, the cost for treatment is little to none.

Take the plunge

Once everything is taken care of, it’s time to dive in. La Jolla Cove is a great site for beginners to enjoy marine wildlife including seals, leopard sharks and spiny lobsters. To log more hours in the ocean, try joining a scuba group in San Diego, such as Power Scuba. Visit its website at meetup.com/Scuba-Diving-San-Diego.

And remember, scuba diving is most fun when done safely.