Bangkok Poco spices up cuisine

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

Have you ever questioned why you are eating what you’re eating? How did this food end up on your plate and then in your stomach? In most cases, it can be traced back to the unfoldings of history.

Thai cuisine, for example, evolved throughout the centuries from relations with neighboring countries such as India and China. But how did Thai food migrate here to San Diego, quenching our parched western tongues with such a variety and balance of flavors? Because of American residency in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War, western exposure to Southeast Asian culture and cuisine revealed a whole new world of soups, rice and noodles with the perfect combinations of sweet, sour and spicy flavors.

Today, the question isn’t weather or not to try Thai food, but where to get a Thai fix?

Fortunately at San Diego State, the quaint Thai restaurant, Bangkok Poco, is just steps away from campus.

Bangkok Poco, located in the heart of College Square off of College Avenue, offers an escape from the monotonous corporate bindings of the meal plan (too much orange chicken anyone?) An authentic Thai cuisine, mixed with poco (“a little”) San Diegan influence, this restaurant also provides reasonable prices for hungry college students looking to spice up their lives.

As you walk through the front doors, prepare to be greeted with a friendly smile.

On a typical evening, the restaurant has a quiet and relaxed atmosphere. Simple décor and staff add ease, while popular sports may grace the television and pop songs muse in the background.

Nevertheless, what attracts many students is the $5 lunch deal, which includes soup, salad, entrée (vegetable and tofu) and an egg roll. For meat lovers, just add another dollar and you’ve got a full meal.

If you’re 21, every day of the week Bangkok Poco has great beer deals at only $2 a bottle. With the remodeling of the Aztec Center and the subsequent closure of the only on-campus bar, Louie’s Pub, Bangkok Poco is the opportunity for a cold one after class.

Whether you like your food mild or hot, you are bound to leave Bangkok Poco with a satisfied belly, a potential burning sensation on your lips and a little drunk of heart. Only in San Diego can you enjoy a cold beer, a delicious plate of pad Thai and the relaxing vibes of Sublime.

Bangkok Poco spices up cuisine