Waber leads Aztecs to win against Delaware

Even though classes were not in session, Aztec fans were out in full force supporting the San Diego State volleyball team Friday at Aztec Court.

The volleyball team opened the season in excellent form, sweeping the Delaware Blue Hens (0-2) in three straight sets, 25-13, 25-20 and 29-27.

The Aztecs (2-0) return 11 players from last season and also have some new faces that are sure to shine.

Sophomore outside hitter Michelle Waber had 16 kills in her first game wearing an Aztec jersey. Waber, a native from Wildomar, redshirted last season after transferring to Montezuma Mesa

from the University of Hawai’i. Middle blocker Andrea Hannasch kicked her senior season off with an impressive 11 kills and six blocks. Senior libero Kristi Jackels led the Aztecs with a team-high 14 digs in the match.

Although SDSU swept the Blue Hens, it did not come easy. Delaware came out fierce in the second set, going up on the Aztecs 17-13. However, the Aztecs fought back to tie the game at 17-17 and won the second set, 25-20. The third set was a nail-biter as Delaware battled back from trailing SDSU the entire set to tie the score at 23-23. The set continued back and forth, but the game ended when Waber fired home back-to-back kills, giving the Aztecs a 29-27 edge in the final set for the win.

“I think everyone did a great job staying together and keeping the energy and momentum up,” Waber said.

“It was great,” SDSU head coach Deitre Collins-Parker said about the season-opening win. “Delaware is a good team with a good record and they win their conference. These are wins that we need, so it was really great to start out this way.”

The Aztecs returned to the court Saturday night and recorded a five-set upset against the No. 17California Golden Bears, winning the 2012 Aztec Invitational. Waber led SDSU with 20 kills and was named the tournament’s MVP. Hannasch added 19 kills and was named to the four-person all- tournament squad.

The Aztecs will host the four- team Holiday Inn Mission Valley Aztec Challenge on Friday and Saturday at Aztec Court.