Crime Beat 08.30.2012

Bomb Threat at West Commons

At about 3:30 p.m. on Aug. 22, a male voice called the U.S. Bank branch in West Commons at San Diego State, claiming there was a bomb in the building. Officials evacuated the area and SDSU Police Department and a bomb unit investigated the situation. The area was cleared around 5:40 p.m. SDSUPD are searching for the individual who called in the threat.

Fraternity Embezzlement

On Aug. 23, embezzlement was reported at the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity. According to police, an alumni member assisting with finances was a sole signer for a local chapter bank account. Since December, there have been unauthorized withdrawals and charges totaling $5,000.

DUI Checkpoint Nets 11 Arrests

On Aug. 28, the San Diego Police Department conducted a DUI checkpoint along the 5100 block of College Avenue, next to SDSU. Throughout the course of about five hours, a total of 1,367 cars passed through the checkpoint. Of those vehicles, police screened 962, resulting in 11 arrests for suspicion of driving under the influence and 11 impounded vehicles. Alarmingly interesting, one of the arrests involved a San Diego native and San Francisco archbishop to be Rev. Salvatore Codileone, who was driving his mother home.

Assault and Robbery

A non-SDSU student was confronted and robbed a 1:05 a.m., on Aug. 25 at 6300 Mesita Drive—about half a mile from campus. According to police, the victim was struck on the head with an unknown object when approached from the rear by the suspects. A suspect took the victim’s cell phone before fleeing. Both suspects are described as African-American males in their early 20s, about 6 feet tall, one wearing a gray shirt, the other a black shirt.

-Compiled by Allie Bidwell, Staff Writer

Crime Beat 08.30.2012