Pita Pit is a healthy option for late night eaters

Katie Foster, Staff Photographer

It’s midnight. You’ve been studying for an exam for three hours and your taste buds begin to beg for a little “TLC.” Where do you go? If you live around campus, most of the restaurants are closed. Instead of reaching for your standby microwave dinner or choosing from the lackluster snacks in the vending machine, why not try for a more healthy option?

Opening in 2001 as the first of its kind in California, Pita Pit is a fun and tasty alternative to fast- food chains that is popular among  San Diego State students. Located on College Avenue next to Fantastic Sam’s salon and Starbucks in College Square, it’s a perfect place to grab any meal of the day. It’s especially convenient for those living in nearby residence halls in- cluding Cuicicalli, Zura and Maya. Co-Owners Mat Shaffer and Ed Espinoza attest that Pita Pit is an establishment that simply is “the next generation of fast food.”

Offering a wide variety of meats, cheeses, vegetables and sauces, it’squite easy to use your imagination when creating your own unique pita. All of the ingredients come fresh from local farmer’s markets and are prepped in the store, a far cry from the typical prepackaged foods of other restaurants. “It’s fast, it’s fresh, it’s a fun alternative way to get fed,” Shaffer said. Favorites include the chicken Caesar, chipotle chicken, and the Bosco Pita, named after Shaffer’s Boston terrier.

Along with these classics, there are also six pitas individually crafted and named by a handful of SDSU’s fraternities. Including Sigma Nu’s“The Python” and Zeta Beta Tau’s “The Fury.” For those non-meat lovers, there are vegetarian options as well as the choice to turn any pita into a salad. SDSU sophomore Brett

Cocagne has his own personal favorite for his mid-day meal. “I order the gyro. They always make it the way I want it,” Cocagne said. “The combination of all the flavors is amazing. Good seasoning on the gyro meat keeps me coming back.”

Pita Pit’s varied and colorful menu truly has something for everyone. Early risers can take advantage of the breakfast pitas, which include the sausage scramble and ham n’ eggs. Students can easily grab a portable meal on their way to class or work.

A new addition to the menu is an all-natural, non-dairy citrus sorbet. In the style of a frozen drink, it is available in flavors such as orange burst and pink lemonade and is a great complement to any pita or salad on these last warm days of summer.

For college students on a budget, Pita Pit has food options for relatively low prices. They offer daily specials on varying pitas during the week, most of them only $5. Employees of SDSU also enjoy the benefits by receiving a 10 percent discount on an in-store pita. “We’re always finding ways to reach out to the students,” Shaffer adds. “They are our bread and butter.”

Part of what makes Pita Pit unique is the perks that it offers. They provide free delivery to places on campus as well as residence halls, fraternities and sororities, and nearby apartments. Customers can place their orders online, as well as check out an additional feature on their website that allows them to customize any pita and view the exact nutritional breakdown.

They also do catering, so you can bring a fresh and wholesome lunch to any meeting or event. Another bonus is that they are open late, leaving their doors open for business until 2 a.m. Monday through Wednesday and until 3 a.m. Thursday through Saturday.

While the food is what attracts most, Shaffer is most proud of his employees and the family environment they create at Pita Pit. “We’re proud of our staff,” Shaffer said.

“They create the atmosphere.” This kind of environment is precisely why SDSU sophomore Shai Lee keeps returning again and again.

“Pita Pit has great customer service,” she explains. “The workers are energetic, helpful, and eager to help.”

This kind of mentality also extends to those who are most im- portant of all—the clientele. “Our customers are our family and we treat them as such,” Shaffer says, referring to the fact that there are many personal touches that adorn Pita Pit’s vibrant walls, including pictures from patrons.

So the next time you’re scrambling for somewhere new to have a meal but can’t think of a place to go, give Pita Pit a try. Its eclectic feel, fun and friendly team, and wide variety of options to choose from will certainly have you becoming a regular in no time.