Despite similarities to Nintendo’s ‘Smash Bros.,’ ‘PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale’ is quite a bit of fun

Courtesy Sony and Santa Monica Studios

When “PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale” was originally announced, anyone who saw it naturally assumed it was PlayStation’s version of “Super Smash Bros.,” a game that pit various “Nintendo” characters against one another in a fight to the death. Those people assumed correctly. However, it’s not as bad as it might seem. “Smash Bros.” was, and still is, a very entertaining game anyone can still have a great time playing. So naturally, PlayStation’s Santa Monica Studio set out to recreate the joy Nintendo generated by creating a similar game for the PlayStation.

Gameplay is very similar to Smash Bros. with the exceptions of having no damage percentage meter and no fear of being knocked off the edges of maps. This leaves many to wonder how you win. It’s a fairly simple concept.  Next to every character’s portrait at the bottom of the screen is a little meter which slowly fills up as players inflict damage upon one another. Whenever is full, the player is given a special finishing move which are used to score points. As long as a finishing move connects with an opponent, the opponent will be destroyed, giving the attacker a point. Finishing moves can charge from level 1 (a quick attack that covers a short range), level 2 (an attack that covers a wider area and may incapacitate opponents long enough to score a point) and level 3 (a devastating ability capable of annihilating every opponent on the screen).

So yes, it’s similar to “Smash Bros.,” but this isn’t a bad thing. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is fun for everyone and is guaranteed to be a hit at casual parties, in dorm rooms and family gatherings.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale hits shelves on Nov. 20.