SDSU falls to OSU

The San Diego State men’s soccer team is now 1-2-1 after its 3-2 win against Houston Baptist University and 2-1 loss to Ohio State University this past weekend at the Courtyard Marriott San Diego Central Soccer Tournament.

The tournament began Friday night with SDSU defeating the Huskies in front of a record 2,212 fans at the SDSU Sports Deck.“That Friday night crowd showed how big this program is now and its exciting to see,” junior goalkeeper Blake Hylen said.

The tournament ended on Sunday evening when SDSU fell to the Buckeyes.

The Aztecs controlled the tempo of the first half against Ohio State and finally got on the scoreboard when junior midfielder Morgan Sacco and sophomore midfielder Tyler Smith assisted junior midfielder Kody Duff for SDSU’s first and only goal of the match in the 41st minute.

The Buckeyes responded by putting the ball in the back of the net two minutes later, which tied the game going into halftime.

The Aztecs outshot the Buckeyes 11-5 in the first half and 15-6 in the second half, but couldn’t score another goal before the game ended.

“We made some very elementary mistakes,” SDSU head coach Lev Kirshner said.

Throughout the second half, SDSU continued to battle it out, even after Ohio State took a 2-1 lead on a goal by freshman forward Louie Berra in the 64th minute, which would ultimately prove to be the game-winner.

“We knew we had to come out and fight,” junior midfielder Kevin Bick said. “Unfortunately, we fell behind a little bit with the goals, but I think we are a resilient team and we are going to come out thisseason and get a lot of wins.”

This weekend, SDSU will compete in the Courtyard by Marriott Highlander Soccer Invitational against the University of Nebraska- Omaha and the University of North Florida in Riverside, Calif.

“We are all disappointed in how it unfolded,” Hylen said. “They had a couple good shots and I put that on me. We just have to come better next time.”

SDSU falls to OSU