Oregon State takes down Aztecs in Fullerton Classic

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

After returning to the mainland following a tough Verizon Volleyball Challenge in Hawaii, the San Diego State volleyball team participated in the 2012 Fullerton Classic, hosted by Cal State Fullerton.

The Aztecs split the weekend going 2-2, defeating host Cal State Fullerton (3-1) and Brown (3-0), but ultimately failing in close matches to Santa Clara (3-2) and Oregon State (3-1). It was a rough show after playing nationally ranked No. 3 UCLA and No. 9 Hawai’i the previous week in Honolulu. SDSU sits at an overall record of 8-4 after concluding play at Titan Gym and completing the non-conference portion of its schedule.

Facing off against Oregon State, SDSU battled for every ball, taking the first set into extra points and ultimately winning 26-24 thanks to kills by sophomore outside hitter Michelle Waber and junior outside hitter Raegan Shelton. But despite their best efforts, the Aztecs could not contain OSU and the Beavers went on to win the next three sets in convincing fashion (25-20, 25- 19 and 25-19).

With the win against SDSU, the Beavers improved their overall record to 10-2. Shelton led the tam with a padded stat line of 15 kills, 12blocks along a service ace and trio of blocks for her first double-double of the season. Senior libero Kristi Jackels was a strong presence on defense recording a team-high 20 digs for SDSU. Junior outside hitter Summer Nash finished the game with 14 kills and seven digs, while senior middle blocker Andrea Hannasch recorded eight kills, seven blocks and three service aces for the Aztecs. Oregon State hit a .201 percentage and held SDSU at just .123. After defeating the Aztecs, the Beavers went on to sweep host Cal State Fullerton in three sets Sunday afternoon, finishing the weekend undefeated.

The Aztecs completed the 2012 Fullerton Classic by defeating Brown in three sets (25-11, 25-14, 25-12). Shelton, who was named to the all-tournament team, delivered a match-high 11 kills, two blocks, six digs and a service ace. Junior middle blocker Emily Harris totaled seven blocks, while Waber added eight kills and four blocks. SDSU recorded 42 kills compared to Brown’s 19.

The Aztecs travel to Reno next to take on Nevada in the conference opener. The game is slated for a 7 p.m. first serve on Saturday.