Taking the Coronado Art Walk

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

Art! A 3 letter word so simple, yet so broad in definition. What is art? Every individual has his own way of expressing himself creatively; his own way at ap- proaching his truth through whatever medium he sees as fit. That is art. At the Coronado Art Walk, many talented artists came together, to showcase just that: his or her attempt to express experiences and observa- tions, however delicate, simple or farfetched they may be. From handmade jewelry of keys, beach glass, precious stones, paintings large and small, animal sculptures and pottery or glass-blown ornaments of any occasion, this fair had it all. While reminiscent of other local art fairs and farmers markets such as the Ocean Beach fair, this art walk adorned itself less with kooks and more with dignified art.Sponsored by The Coronado Historical Association and The Unified Port of San Diego, the seventh annual Coronado Art Walk was held Aug. 15 and 16. The walk was nestled in the comfort of the quaint, red-walled Coronado Ferry Landing, picturesquely located on San Diego Bay with grand views of the city skyline. While this marketplace already offers visitors nostalgic art galleries and appetizing eateries, the Art Walk added bustling energy, with patrons perusing the walk equipped with shades, visors and water bottles. Jim Cosman, volunteer andmember of the Coronado Histori- cal Association, shared some history about the event. “This year is the first year at the ferry landing, and the first year for a two day event,” Cosman said. “The Art Walk is mostly an opportunity for the artists to show their work, but it is also afun thing for the community, and a way to promote Coronado.” David Tyrone Villa, a painter and San Diego native, exhibited at the Art Walk for the first time this year. Among his works were various paintings adorned with bright colors and painted with quick, short brush strokes to capture the energy of his chosen settings. Villa normally doesn’t display his art anywhere, but the Coronado Art Walk presented a great opportunity for exposure. “I try to limit myself to how many art walks I do, and I thought this had good demographics,” he said.

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

Villa, a painter for more than 15 years, has sold his artwork for three years. While many artists gain skills in a classroom, Villa learned to paint through his own dedication. “I am a self-taught painter,” Villa said. “My inspirations come from a lot of different areas, but I do not like to limit myself, so I call it my own work.” Villa also reaps the benefits of support from the community. “I am from San Diego, and when I paint the San Diego scenery, people connect with it,” Villa said. One of the featured artists, Elliot Newton, located at the hub of the fair, sat under his umbrella as his pottery shone in the smoldering sun. His art, as well as his survival story, have gained recognition throughout the years. Newton, who is now 75, has participated in nearly every Coronado Art Walk. He commented “The shape and form that I do, very few people can do better, and I know that’s bragging, but it’s true,” Newton joked. Hailing from the desert area of Palm Springs, La Quinta, Newton comes to San Diego every year just for the Coronado Art Walk. “I like participating in it because the scenery is just gorgeous,” Newton said. “It’s an upscale art show, it really is very profitable, except it’s a little weak today because of the heat.”While the temperature rose to record-breaking levels, the heat did not stop people from enjoying the art showcased at the Coronado Art Walk. Newton ended by saying, “I deserve this location. My work deserves this location.” Whether it was the artists basking in the sun flaunting their art or the humble meanderers who float- ed about the fair, the Coronado Art Walk was a good time for any person who can enjoy the simple yet diverse pleasures of art.on his journey as artist. “I have been doing ceramics for about 20 years now. I had a heart attack and spent five years at a community college doing art classes and later decided to go to art shows on the weekends,” Newton said. His pottery, ranging in colors from subtle ochre yellows to warm teals, all overlaid with faint brown distortions, are ubiquitous to his craft of choice. His style of crystalline-glazed pottery, creates unique works.

Taking the Coronado Art Walk