SnoCal’s shaved ice helps beat the heat wave

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

It is the end of September and it seems as though the scorching sun will never go away. What better way to cool down than to have a shaved ice on a hot day? SnoCal Shaved Ice, a local food truck company, has introduced many private events and local spots to cool (pun intended), fruity flavors of shaved ice.

The idea of SnoCal started when University of Arizona graduates and co-founders, Joe Olanoff and David Vallecorsa were enlightened with the idea to create a shaved ice food truck company. Part of the reason the food truck concept appealed to Olanoff and Vallecosa was because of the businesses’ cost efficiency. However, another motivation was the demand for shaved ice in San Diego.

“(I) have never been able to really find shaved ice in San Diego,” Olanoff said. “We found there was a demand for it, but not enough supply so we decided it was worth a shot.”

After doing plenty of research, SnoCal came up with a unique process to create the best recipe for shaved ice. Olanoff says not to get shaved ice and snow cones confused, because their processes are extremely different.

“There is a definite difference between shaved ice and a snow cone,” Olanoff shared. “A snow cone is crushed ice which tends to become very hard very quickly as opposed to shaved ice which takes a large block of ice, and using a sharp blade, finely shaves off the ice in small layers creating a much fluffier and easier to eat treat.”

The processes involved in creating shaved ice include a multi-step reverse osmosis system, which produces pure blocks of ice, and “tempering,” which allows the blocks to create a perfect shave of ice for the added flavors. These two steps together create a fluffy, refreshing snow cone.

“SnoCal snow absorbs the flavor into the flake and doesn’t pool at the bottom like your little league snow cone,” the company’s website states.

The truck displays its abundance of flavors in a Southern California-inspired surfboard. The flavors offered are root beer, piña colada, tigers blood (a fruity mix with a hint of coconut), sour grape, margarita, mai tai and much more. Customers don’t have to limit themselves to the items on the menu, but can ask for a combination of more than one flavor to create a unique blend. Olanoff suggests trying a fruity flavor and adding sweetened condensed milk, which is also known as a snowcap.

“Many people are afraid of it, but it really makes it taste so much better. Most true shaved ice fans always put it on theirs,” he added.

The variety of flavors and styles make a cup of shaved ice the ideal refreshing midday snack, or a filling after-lunch dessert.

For those interested in tasting shaved ice, track SnoCal Shaved Ice on Twitter (@SnoCalShavedIce) and Facebook where it shares its day-to-day locations.

Sofie Casillas, Assistant Copy Chief

Leo Castaneda, Opinion Editor