Aztecs don’t slack off, they slackline instead

Crystal Tellez-Giron, Staff Writer
Crystal Tellez-Giron, Staff Writer

Slacklining is a sport for anyone willing to test new boundaries. It attracts people of all ages and is an increasingly popular practice in the balancing arts, especially for those with a background in surfing, skating and mountain climbing. But for San Diego State students Anthony “AJ” Fiorillo and Lane Masar, it’s an everyday sport to let loose while maintaining happiness and balance.

Three ropes hang on various levels parallel one another between three rows of palm trees, overlooking swings and a jungle gym at the Old Trolley Barn Park in University Heights. The purple rope hangs four feet off the ground between a red and black rope. The red line almost grazes the green grass, while the height of the black line is an intimidating challenge, even for the seasoned slackliner.

The sun is glaring on the bare back of Fiorillo, who is a kinesiology major, as he jumps on the purple line with a Tarzan-like bounce before finding immediate balance. Clearly, this isn’t the first time he’s walked the line.

“Ceremony” by ‘80s new-wave band New Order is playing from a mini-amplifier as two passers-by pause to observe what his next move will be. With both arms in the air and a slight bend in his knees, the blinding sunlight and curious observers do not perturb his concentration. He sways slightly left to right and makes it to the center of the rope, as he slowly turns to face the opposite direction and holds a crouched “Karate Kid” pose. In a succession of four quick and precise movements, his bare feet momentarily hit the ground and he props himself back on the rope, walks backward and holds a kneeling position.

Slacklining began in the late ‘70s in Yosemite and has since turned into a progressive tricklining sport known as “slacking,” according to Masar.

Slacklining is done with a nylon rope tensioned between two anchor points, often trees, u p o n which slackliners take the stage, or more accurately the line, while holding yoga-like poses and performing up-in-the-air tricks.

It looks deceptively easy and dangerously fun from an outsider’s perspective. But like most things that appear effortless, its difficulty level is significant. You can spot an experienced slackliner because he or she moves from one end of the line to the other with fluid agility.

“It’s innovative,” Fiorillo said when referring to the underground slackline scene. “It’s all about balance and to have balance is to be happy.”

Masar, who wears a blue and white tie-dye headband and aviator sunglasses, shows off his funky Funkmaster Flex moves with skateboard-style grabs and flips. Adjacent to him is Gene Bordson, 24, on the red line, who holds a peaceful warrior- like pose with eyes closed and palms closed together.

Three young boys riding bikes gather around to see what it’s all about and both Fiorillo and Masar encourage them to give it a try. After a few minutes of testing the elasticity of the ropes, they practice jumping on it as if it were a trampoline.

“It’s fun because you’re pushing the limits and exploring new territory,” Masar said. “I’m able to keep active and I get to feel like a kid again.”

Various styles of slacking have emerged throughout the years, all with different influential backgrounds, such as yoga lining, water lining and an extreme form of slacklining practiced over canyons, known as highlining.

Ever since Madonna’s halftime-show performance in this year’s Super Bowl featured slackline tricks, it’s gained more recognition in the U.S. It’s also a growing phenomenon in places such as South America, Asia and Europe.

“It’s fun to be a part of because you don’t know where it could go,” Masar said. “Who knows, maybe it could be in the X Games or the Olympics?”

But in San Diego, it’s mostly done for fun.

You can usually find a group of slackliners, including Masar and Fiorillo, setting up camp at Mission Beach near Belmont Park on weekday afternoons. They stay there until sunset or until they’re kicked out by security because of liability reasons.

The sun is setting and casting shadows on the grass, creating a silhouette in my digital frame. I take a snapshot of each of them demonstrating their signature poses on the lowest line. The moon is behind them and they hold themselves upright with both arms, feet in the air. The trio of slackliners demonstrate how it takes audacity, concentration and a unique, evolving style to be comfortable walking the line.