SDSU gets first MW victory

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

Fresh off a disappointing loss to Nevada in the Mountain West Conference opener, the San Diego State women’s volleyball team rallied to defeat Wyoming in Laramie, Wyo.

It was a close match in all five sets, as SDSU rallied from a 2-1 deficit to come back and claim the victory. The Cowgirls took the first set at 25-17, and led by as many as eight points before scoring the final five points to take the set. The Aztecs answered back though, winning the second set at 25-18. The score was tied at nine, but SDSU took control, scoring three consecutive points and winning the set by seven.

The third set was the closest of the night, but Wyoming eventually came out on top with a score of 25-23. Neither team led by more than three points in the set and the score was tied at 22 before the home team capitalized on a kill and a SDSU hitting error to get the two-point victory.

SDSU took the fourth set 25- 20 after jumping out to an 18-10 lead. Wyoming brought the score to within four points, but could not come back.

In the fifth and final set, the Aztecs won 15-11 to record its first MW win for the season.

Junior outside hitter Raegan Shelton continued her strong, all-around play for the Aztecs, finishing with 16 kills, five blocks, six digs and two service aces for the night. Passing was not an issue, as the Aztecs worked the ball to senior middle blocker Andrea Hannasch for another 15 kills. Hannasch also tallied eight blocks, three digs and two service aces in the game.

Two other Aztecs had double figures in the kill column, as junior outside hitter Summer Nash added 10 kills, four blocks and six digs on the statistics sheet, while sophomore right side hitter Chaiymin Steel rounded out the Aztec players in double figures by recording 10 kills to go along with three blocks as SDSU showed off its well-rounded offense.

Senior libero Kristi Jackels continued her smart and quick defensive play, leading SDSU with a team-high 24 digs. Junior setter Johnna Fouch recorded her second straight double-double game and third of the season, adding 49 assists and 10 digs to her season totals. Jackels has recorded 214 digs so far this season and Fouch leads the Aztec offensive breakout with 347 assists. Nash, Hannasch, sophomore outside hitter Michelle Waber, Shleton and Steel all have more than 100 kills on the season.

The Aztecs improve to 1-2 in conference play and 9-6 overall on the season. SDSU comes back to Montezuma Mesa to face off against two conference opponents this week. The Aztecs will take on Fresno State at 7 p.m. on Thursday in Fort Collins, Colo. before battling against conference rival University of Nevada, Las Vegas at 1 p.m. on Sunday at Aztec Court in Peterson Gym.

SDSU gets first MW victory