Little Italy’s Mercato offers a taste of culture

Every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., crowds of people roam Little Italy’s Date and India streets. There isn’t a set direction visitors walk; they trust their senses to lead them. This oasis where senses frolic with happiness is Little Italy’s Mercato, also known as its farmers market.

Farmers markets have flourished throughout the years. In these types of markets, trucks would gather in an open piece of land and farmers would sell their products on the tailgates of their vehicles.

Farmers markets today have several benefits. Most vendors come from mom-and-pop businesses in the San Diego area.

“The Mercato is a great way to meet people, share delectable products that are really good for people, and a great way to meet chefs,” San Diego State alumnus Daniel Vereker said, who sells for Nicolau Farms at the farmers market. “A lot of chefs shop the farmers markets, so that’s another avenue we sell our cheese wholesale to selected restaurants in San Diego.”

Nicolau Farms sells feta cheese that comes from goats. It also makes goat cheese ravioli and goat’s milk popsicles, (yes, cheese popsicles) named lavender and honey goat cheese. Those interested can find these foods in the Little Italy Mercato or visit Viva Pops (who are also participants in the Mercato).

“I love the ambiance of the Mercato. It has a great vibe, great music, great people, great cheese aficionados and we even partner a lot with some of the other vendors. There is a lot of synergy in the farmers market world,” Vereker said.

Nicolau Farms prides itself for being a sustainable farmstead and growing its own food for its goats. This is another benefit of farmers markets, as most vendors sell food and beverages that are natural and locally grown. There are also vendors who sell plain organic fruit and vegetables.

“I like the fact that there were so many different little businesses that were promoting new innovative ideas; like this one vendor used bottles of Grey Goose vodka to make everyday home glass cups. And there was an all-green, veggie smoothie stand that actually tastes good and is healthy unlike many brand-name juices you might find at a local 7-Eleven,” SDSU junior and first time visitor at the Mercato Miriam Melendez said. “I see farmers markets as a small revolutionary movement toward a resource-based economy where people do not find the need to buy from large corporations to get their everyday produce and products.”

Buying groceries at the farmers markets is a great way to start eating healthier and to support the local community.

What’s unique about Little Italy’s Mercato compared to SDSU’s? For one, Little Italy is a beautiful community in San Diego. It’s located right next to downtown and borders the San Diego Bay, offering amazing views as farmers market shoppers stroll from vendor to vendor. Little Italy is also known for its aesthetic and urban buildings. Architects and creative builders are constantly working on new projects that have an artistic and modern edge to it.

Little Italy, a community that’s been around since the 1920s, has a rich history written on its streets and its mom-and- pop restaurants residing there. The community was formed for the sole purpose of preserving the Italian culture by integrating immigrants into a new home in the U.S.

However, shoppers don’t need to be Italian for the Mercato to hit the heartstrings rooted into their own culture.

“Farmers markets remind me of a modernized idea of customary markets in Mexico and Central America called ‘tianguis,’” Melendez explained. “I suddenly got a flashback of me walking on the dirt streets, seeing ‘mi gente’ setting up to sell their fresh home-grown fruits and vegetables, handmade jewelry or accessories and the smell of delicious traditional food.”

It is hard to believe that so many benefits and memories can grow from a farmers market, but that is what makes it special. With one bite or sip from any of the vendor’s products in the Mercato, customers will be hooked. The friendly and homely atmosphere alone is enough to make visitors return every weekend. With visually pleasing art, soothing music and delicious food, it is only a matter of time until you begin to say buon appetito!