Prep early for fire season

Thinkstock

“Survivor” is an entertaining show. Not just because it’s interesting to watch bikini- clad bimbos act out first world problems—although that’s always amusing—but because

I think about how I would survive without the resources we’ve all grown accustomed to.

When disaster strikes, I want to be ready to handle it.

If you were anywhere in the Southwest about a year ago, you probably remember the blackout that occurred one late summer afternoon. Those of us who experienced it can vividly remember where we were and most likely have a story to tell. Many people, myself included, used this event as an excuse to break out the drinks and barbecues and chat with the neighbors under the pure light of stars.

While most people seemed to enjoy the freedom of being unplugged from the world for a few hours, others were scrambling to buy supplies asifitwastheendofthe world. Many were stockpiling batteries, food and water in case the blackout lasted more thanaday.AsIstoodinalong line to buy charcoal at my local grocery store, I realized some of us simply aren’t prepared for disasters. I understand this isn’t the movie “2012,” but being prepared will prove beneficial in the event something does occur. After all, you don’t want to be the jerk in the disaster movies everyone hates for slowing down the group.

Last week, the County of San Diego released a free app that features up-to-date news and safety information for county citizens in the event of a disaster. It also features strategies and checklists users can draw from at any time to better prepare themselves for future catastrophes.

Having access to such information is crucial during any event. With fire season approaching in San Diego, now is the perfect time to get our act together. Preparing doesn’t have to mean intense hoarding or extensive evacuation drilling. ReadySanDiego, an extension of the San Diego County of Emergency Services, advises storing at least three days’ worth of food and water per person in your home or residence hall. Know the safety routes of areas and buildings and where to go in case of an emergency. Have on-hand supplies such as flashlights, extra batteries and a stocked first-aid kit. Keep important personal documents and extra cash in an easily accessible spot.

Most importantly, being prepared is about having common sense. If officials are giving out orders, it’s in your best interest to follow them. Stubbornness is fine if you’re on an island trying to win a million dollars, but in the real world, it only causes trouble for response teams. Being able to take care of yourself in an emergency allows responders to help those who really need it. There’s nothing worse than personnel having to go out of the way to rescue people that could have helped themselves. Having a plan will also allow to help those around them. Don’t be selfish in an emergency—do what you can to assist others.

You don’t have to be an action hero to survive a disaster. All it takes is foresight and a bit of planning. Following these guidelines and simply being aware of your surroundings can make a significant difference. Of course, if you feel you must have a dramatic escape plan including airplanes and limousine getaway cars, I suppose I don’t blame you. Just make sure to stay safe and look cool doing it.

Prep early for fire season