Hot Snakes announce shows

Courtesy Swami Records and Chris Woo

Legendary San Diego band Hot Snakes has announced it will be playing several more reunion shows in December. The two North American dates are in San Diego and Phoenix, while the other three recently announced concerts will be in Australia.

Its first date is at The Crescent Ballroom in downtown Phoenix on Dec. 1. The band will then make a hometown appearance in San Diego at the Casbah on Dec. 3. Following these two shows, the band will fly to Australia for several performances, including the Meredith Music Festival on Dec. 8.

Hot Snakes, which has been inactive since 2005, reunited late last year for a few local shows at such venues as Bar Pink and the Casbah. It was also part of the lineup for this year’s FYF Fest.

While the band is just now reuniting, its members have been highly active. Guitarist John Reis, formerly of other San Diego bands including Rocket from the Crypt and Drive Like Jehu, has opened a bar and restaurant, hosted the Swami Sound System on FM 94.9, and also formed a new band in 2008 called The Night Marchers. Singer/guitarist Rick Froberg is currently part of New York-based band Obits. Drummer Mario Rubalcaba (aka Ruby Mars) has played with many bands, though he is currently performing with the hardcore super-group OFF! alongside Black Flag founder and Circle Jerks singer Keith Morris.

The band’s reunion shows thus far have been almost entirely sold out, and it is not clear how many more shows will be played. Tickets start at $19 and can be purchased at casbahmusic.com. Be sure to get one soon and enjoy some of San Diego’s best music and history.

Hot Snakes announce shows