Weber honored as Aztec for Life

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

A former San Diego State student athlete and current NFL Hall of Famer returned to campus on Friday to induct a new Aztec For Life legend at SDSU’s fifth annual Aztec For Life Homecoming Celebration event at the Parma Payne Goodall Alumni Center.

Former SDSU football player Marshall Faulk, now NFL Hall of Famer inducted Dr. Stephen L. Weber as an Aztec For Life for the SDSU Alumni Association. Weber was SDSU’s former president for 15 years before announcing his retirement in 2011. All proceeds from the event benefited the Marshall Faulk Foundation.

Before the event, Faulk spoke about how much Weber has contributed to SDSU and why he’s deserving of the honor.

“His thumbprint is on this school everywhere you walk around here; what he’s done, not just with the athletics programs, but with the infrastructures around school … he’s reshaped that,” Faulk said.

Faulk recognized the greater achievements of the school and explained what he’s noticed about the university under Weber’s tenure as SDSU’s president.

“It’s not just a school that people come to party, but a place where people want to send their kids to get an education … he was very instrumental at shaping and molding this university,” Faulk said.

The event started off with an exclusive VIP reception at SDSU’s Fowler Athletics Center for sponsors and guests with a VIP ticket. A red carpet led to the entrance of the reception, and those with a ticket, were given the chance to take a photo with Faulk on the red carpet. Attendees also had the opportunity to mix and mingle with other celebrity guests who appeared, including San Diego Padres manager Bud Black, former NBA and SDSU basketball player Michael Cage and former NFL player La’Roi Glover.

After the reception, the event opened up for those with general admission tickets at the Alumni Center. For two hours, the night was filled with live entertainment, music and food. Sponsors and guests were also given the chance to bid on items during a silent auction, including vacation packages, sporting events tickets and sports memorabilia.

When the silent auction came to a close, Faulk spoke to an audience of sponsors and guests as he presented Weber a red jacket with a patch on it that read “AFL Legend,” which officially inducted him as an Aztec For Life. Moments before the induction of Weber, he explained what it meant to him to be an Aztec For Life.

“It means a lot to me. It’s hard to express how much it means,” Weber said. “A year ago before I left San Diego State, at the bottom of my address on my email and stationary, I put ‘Aztec For Life’ because that’s the way I feel. So, all of a sudden, the fact and acknowledgment as an Aztec For Life is a wonderful thing.”

The night concluded with live entertainment. The foundation’s mission is to improve the quality of life for today’s youth by increasing opportunities for them to lead healthy, fulfilling lives.

For more information about the Marshall Faulk Foundation, visit marshallfaulk.com. Information about the SDSU Alumni Association can be found at www. sdsualumni.org.

Weber honored as Aztec for Life