Party buses’ safety under speculation

MCT Campus

Party buses may seem like a safe mode of transportation when going out on Saturday nights, but without proper research, party buses can be dangerous and unsafe. The evening of Sept. 29, the San Diego State Police Department and the California Highway Patrol stopped 16 party buses in the San Diego area. Of those 16 buses, four were deemed completely inoperable by the CHP. Problems included a welded shut emergency exit, fuel leaking from the gas tank and a lack of air brakes, SDSUPD Captain Lamine Secka said.

Along with alcohol consumption, CHP violations can make for a deadly combination against party buses. In early August, a 25-year-old Santa Cruz woman died after she fell out of a party bus on U.S. Highway 17 during a quarrel with another woman. It is unknown how the bus doors opened, and because the passengers interviewed were drunk, little answers regarding the situation were given.

Similar situations are becoming more common, and the SDSUPD is trying to crack down on party buses. Students use party buses in order to avoid driving drunk to events and parties. However, party buses don’t always reduce the number of alcohol-related injuries and can make it easier for minors to consume alcohol.

Secka said after engaging in underage drinking, freshmen take party buses early in the morning, which causes more problems by increasing alcohol-related medical issues in the residence halls.

However, students don’t always keep safety in mind when selecting party bus companies. Few think about whether or not the company will enforce rules on drinking or safety. But not only can the bus company be cited for facility problems, the bus driver can also be at fault for not properly enforcing rules set by the CHP.

“When searching for a party bus, the important aspects to take into account are price and ambiance,” communication junior Kevin Shufford said. “Loud music, fluorescent lights and stripper poles give the party bus the ‘party’ atmosphere.”

Secka advises students to not only consider fun, but also safety.

“You get what you pay for,” Secka said.

One compliant company is the Cali Party Bus of San Diego. This particular party bus provider ensures that the host of the party bus event signs a clear contract spelling out all rules and restrictions. The company also makes sure that no one under 21 consumes alcohol while on the bus and assigns a chaperone to the bus for groups with a majority of the passengers under 21. Even though students don’t think signing a contract to party is very fun, it does protect passengers and their right to a safe night.

Making sure safety guidelines are stated in a contract is important when looking for the right party bus for the night and will ensure maximum safety for all parties involved.

Party buses’ safety under speculation