Taking more than 16 units may cost more

Students who plan to sign up for more than 16 units in the spring semester may have to pay additional fees.

In November, the California State University Board of Trustees will vote on whether to charge an additional $372 per unit for students taking more than 16 units.

The CSU system is finding ways to close the budget gap as well as to help students graduate in four years. Capping enrollment at 16 units and charging additional fees per unit may help achieve those goals, according to the CSU Chancellor’s office.

“What they (the CSU Board of Trustees) didn’t want students to do is routinely register for 21 units and then wait for almost the drop time and then drop nine of them,” San Diego State University Senate Chair Bill Eadie said.

Eadie said the surcharge will prevent students from taking the spot of someone who really needs the class. He said it’s common for students to “shop seven classes and then only keep four of them.”

Some students with earlier registration dates add certain classes in order to hold spots for their friends with later registration dates. Eadie said additional fees per unit may alleviate this problem.

Eadie said SDSU will also make the add/drop system more efficient by changing the way crashers attempt to add classes.

“We’re addressing that by implementing an automated waiting list system,” Eadie said.

Taking more than 16 units may cost more