SDSU upsets Nevada in overtime

Dustin Michelson, Senior Staff Photographer

The San Diego State football team entered Saturday’s game against the University of Nevada. Reno ready to show the nation and the Mountain West Conference its previous two blowout victories in the last two weeks were not flukes.

The Aztecs needed all the momentum they could to get going in this matchup against the 6-1 Nevada Wolf Pack. With the Aztecs standing at an overall record of 4-3 going into Saturday’s game, the upcoming games become sig- nificant toward achieving a winning record and securing a third consecutive bowl game appearance. Arguably against its toughest opponents of the season, the Aztecs inched out a 39-38 victory against Nevada and found a new hero in the process. With the win, SDSU improved to 5-3 on the season and 3-1 in conference play, while Nevada fell to 6-2 on the year and 3-1 in the confer- ence standings. The win was the Aztecs’ first on the road this season.

Both defenses started off strong, as the Wolf Pack struck first midway through the first quarter with a field goal to jump out to an early 3-0 lead.

On the Aztecs’ second drive of the game, senior quarterback Ryan Katz rolled right and was tackled, injuring his left ankle on the play. Katz was carted off the field and did not return, making way for sophomore backup quarterback Adam Dingwell on his 21st birthday. Dingwell led the Aztecs on two scoring drives to take a 6-3 lead, thanks to field goals by senior kicker Chance Marden.

In the closing moments of the first half, Nevada quarterback Cody Fajardo led the Wolf Pack down the field with only 90 seconds left before halftime. Fajardo sealed the 10-play scoring drive with a 10-yard touchdown pass to receiver Aaron Bradley. The Aztecs ended the first half trailing Nevada by a score of 10-6.

The second half started interestingly, as scoring began to pick up. Nevada marched down the field for another score halfway through the third quarter, this time Fajardo finding the end zone for a 5-yard touchdown run. Dingwell and the Aztecs fired right back with a score of their own, as senior running back Walter Kazee scampered into the end zone for a 3-yard touchdown run. It was Kazee’s sixth rushing touchdown of the season, as he finished the night with 58 yards, moving him into 14th-place on the school’s all-time rushing list with 1,569 career yards. The Aztecs tacked on the two-point conversion to narrow the deficit to three, now trailing 17-14 late in the third quarter.

The Nevada defense forced another SDSU punt and put another seven points on the board, this time Fajardo finding receiver Brandon Wimberly for a 3-yard touchdown toss to extend the Nevada lead to 24-14 at the start of the fourth quarter.

But the Aztecs would not go quietly. Dingwell threw his first career touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Dominique Sandifer from 19 yards out to shave down the Wolf Pack lead to three. It was Sandifer’s first touchdown catch since his freshman year in 2009.

Sandifer led all Aztec receivers with five catches for 60 yards. However, the Wolf Pack scoring could not be stopped. Nevada hustled down the field for an 11- play drive, capped off by a 1-yard Jefferson touchdown run to make the score 31-21, Nevada. Dingwell continued to shine under pressure as he led the SDSU offense down the field again, this time connecting with junior tight end Gavin Escobar for a 4-yard touchdown pass.

The Aztecs tied the score at 31 and forced overtime when Marden hit a 35-yard field goal with time expiring. The field goal was Marden’s third of the game and seventh consecutive field goal made after missing the first three attempts of his career.

In overtime, the Wolf Pack struck first to put pressure on the Aztecs. Fajardo connected with Wimberly again from three yards out to give the Wolf Pack a 38-31 lead. Dingwell and the Aztec offense needed to at least tie the score at 38 or the game would be finished. Dingwell did one better, finding Escobar for another score on a tight end delayed drag.

Escobar’s two touchdowns give him four on the season and 15 for his career. As a result, the Aztecs could either go for a two-point conversion in an attempt to end the game or go for the extra point and force double overtime. SDSU head coach Rocky Long told the offense to stay on the field and go for the game-ending two-point conversion. Dingwell ran the same exact play as the previous touchdown pass and found sophomore tight end Adam Roberts for the game-winning score as the Aztecs shocked the Wolf Pack 39-38.

Dingwell finished the game with a career-high 177 yards passing and the first three touchdown passes of his career. The Aztecs will look to stay on a roll as they take on the University of Nevada, Las Vegas at 5 p.m. Saturday at Aztec Warrior Stadium.

SDSU upsets Nevada in overtime