Govt. aid affects funding

Students at San Diego State are always seeking ways to pay for their college expenses. However, as tuition continues to rise, government aid slowly becomes less available.

On Oct. 22, Professor David Price, a professor of anthro- pology and sociology at Saint Martin’s University and an extensively published author, spoke in Hardy Tower about the government’s relationship with universities and how it has changed in ways affect- ing students’ ability to receive aid. Price said the aid students receive have strings attached, which often requires exten- sive payback, occupational commitments and limits free speech.

“I think it’s very important to students because with lim- ited funding, I worry that in- creased intelligence funding will sort of limit free inquiry,” Price said. “We need to fund education and we need to fund it without strings attached.”

Price recognized programs such as National Security Edu- cation Program, International Cultural Service Program and the Minerva Initiative that fund students’ college edu- cation in exchange for com- mitments, such as summer internships, research projects approved by the agency or work at an agency for a specif- ic amount of time after gradu- ation.

“The core missions of our military and intelligence sec- tors are very different from the interests of our university,” Price said.

Requirements to get school funding can narrow a student’s scope of research and thought. Projects funded are often pre- scriptive and specific. Also, the close involvement with the military will affect student views on politics and current issues, which will flow back to the university.

“People accept money for any kind of thing, and back in say like the 1960s people were really against it … People would protest and now we just kind of accept it; and I think there’s a huge danger to that,” SDSU anthropology graduate student Linda Sanchez said.

The issues discussed call for students to evaluate where they receive aid from and how much aid will truly benefit them. Among economic hardships, turning down money may be dif- ficult, but might be a better al- ternative than a prolonged com- mitment to an agency or payback program. The program also calls for students to research govern- ment agencies before seeking a career with one.

“I think it’s very important for students to hear about the other side of working in the security and intelligence sector and thinking through it with an open mind,” Director of SDSU’s International Security and Conflict Resolution Jonathan Graubart said.

Government funding is shrinking and narrowing in relation to the inflation of college expenses. Receiving aid is important, but must align with students’ goals and encourage free thought.

Govt. aid affects funding