Blind orchestra livens SDSU

Monica Linzmeier, Staff Phtographer

The Korean Traditional Music Orchestra of the Blind performed Oct. 30 at San Diego State’s Smith Recital Hall.

The orchestra was created by Siloam Center for the Blind to revive a Korean tradition dating back to the 15th century. Kim Sejong, who ruled Korea from 1418-1450, founded the Orchestra for the Blind. Sejong believed the visually impaired might have a gift with music, so he had blind musicians perform for various ceremonies and rituals. Now, the orchestra is again spreading the music of traditional Korean culture to “overcome the prejudice of the blind,” as stated in the introduction film preceding the orchestra’s recital.

The 11-member orchestra took the spotlight, performing a total of seven pieces throughout the night. The performances included instrumental songs and a traditional solo dance. However, the end performance of the show seemed to be the crowd pleaser of the night. The men of the orchestra took to the stage with an intense drum performance, and added a contemporary likeness to their traditional show, shouting out, “Gangnam Style” at one point in their drum piece.

With Smith Hall’s seats filled from start to finish, SDSU students seemed to enjoy the show. Freshman Luke Dzierzanowski said he enjoyed the performance.

“It gave me insight to a culture I’ve never explored,” Dzierzanowski said.

For junior Junwoo Kim, who introduced the orchestra members, the concert had a more personal meaning. Kim, born and raised in Korea, attended these orchestras every year with his mom.

“It was neat seeing something here that I went to growing up back home. I have never seen the drums before. That was neat … I think the crowd enjoyed it,” Kim said.

The Korean Traditional Music Orchestra of the Blind is on its first U.S. tour. Following its performance at SDSU, the orchestra will perform at University of California, Los Angeles and UC, San Diego.

Blind orchestra livens SDSU