Women take time to appreciate their body

Courtesy of Kaia los Huertos

Last Thursday, the San Diego State chapter’s of Andrea O’Donnell Womyn’s Outreach Association San Diego State chapter hosted its annual Love Your Body Day at Scripps Cottage.

WOA, an explicitly “anti-racist/ anit-classist/anti-homophobic/anti- siziest/anti-ablist/multiracial” (sic) feminist group, focuses specifically on issues of “inequality and oppression that affect marginalized communities such as womyn, people of color and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people.”

WOA Vice President Kaia Los Huertos said the organization is dedicated to abolishing sexism, racism and other serious issues affecting women through activism and education of its members.

Los Huertos said Love Your Body Day is only a small example of the organization’s work.

“Love Your Body Day is about celebrating the beauty of diversity … It’s about making your own choices and not letting others decide for you,” Los Huertos said.

WOA President Lily Khuu introduced the event stating WOA’s campaign is meant to provide a response to the media’s representation of unhealthy beauty ideals.

“Love Your Body Day encourages to talk back to media; to demand images that reflect the full spectrum of womanhood in all its many sizes, colors, ages, ethnicities, abilities and gender presentations,” Khuu said.

The event started with a Zumba class to promote healthy body image and exercise. There were also tables featuring important women’s health-related topics, such as sexual education, self-identity and breast cancer awareness. WOA also presented several event speakers, including SDSU Student Health Advisory Board representative Tracy Daly, Soul Revision founder Kim Moore and SDSU student Teighlor Brown who offered advice and discussed healthy lifestyles.