Tapley ready to leave his mark in final season

Peter Kluch, Assistant Photo Editor

The exhibition game was all but over against a lowly Division II University of California, San Diego team. The Aztecs led by 28 points and there were few things left for San Diego State fans, players and coaches to cheer for with less than five minutes left in the game.

But in a matter of seconds, senior guard Chase Tapley changed all of that.

On a UCSD inbound pass, Tapley stole the ball near the free-throw line, drove to the basket and threw down a two-handed dunk. The play was followed by a timeout, as several players from the Aztec bench met Tapley at half-court for high fives and chest bumps. The fans rose to their feet and cheered.

“It felt good because teammates get on me everyday, telling me I don’t dunk the ball enough,” Tapley said with a smile. “I had no dunks last year, so when I dunked it tonight, everybody was hyped and mauled me, so I hope to see that a lot this year.”

What Tapley has already seen in his four years on Montezuma Mesa is the transformation of a basketball program; a program that had not made the NCAA Tournament since the 2005-06 season before he arrived in 2009, but has now gone to the Big Dance for three consecutive seasons and will likely be back after starting the season in the Top 25 in numerous preseason polls.

“I have to say it’s the players we had,” Tapley said. “We all just wanted to have that competitive spirit. Since my freshman year, every time we stepped on the court, we thought we were the better team. We had great leaders from my freshman year to last year, who would really get on you if you weren’t playing hard.”

During his freshman year, SDSU won the Mountain West Conference Tournament before being bounced in the first round of the NCAA Tournament by Tennessee 62-59. Tapley averaged 7.6 points, 2.3 rebounds and 2.2 assists during that season.

But it wasn’t until his sophomore year that the name “Chase Tapley” became known campus-wide. He started 31 games and averaged a career-high 8.6 points, 2.4 rebounds and 1.3 steals, as the Aztecs finished the season 34-3, making it to the Sweet 16 before losing to eventual national champion University of Connecticut.

Last season was expected to be a rebuilding year for SDSU, as it lost four starters from its Sweet 16 team. Tapley made sure that didn’t happen by taking on a bigger role as the only returning starter. He started all 34 games and averaged 15.8 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.8 steals on his way to being named to the all-MW second- team and all-tournament team. North Carolina State bounced the Aztecs in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

This season provides a different challenge for SDSU. The Aztecs are expected to be one of the last teams standing in March and Tapley is expected to be a vocal leader on a team with numerous freshmen and transfers. However, Tapley says he doesn’t feel any added pressure. “I don’t think there will be pressure because I have great teammates and players that want to win,” Tapley said. “We all just want the same goal, so I wouldn’t say there’s pressure. It’s the time to shine. Who wouldn’t want to play the games we’re playing. It’s every kid’s dream. Why feel pressure? Just enjoy it.”

And enjoy it he will as he prepares for his final season in an SDSU uniform.

“It hasn’t hit me yet, but sometimes I think, ‘Dang, this really went by fast,’” Tapley said. “I still remember my freshman year before the first exhibition game. I was scared about how I was going to play and now it’s my last exhibition game. It goes in a blink of an eye; that’s how fast it goes.”

But before Tapley begins reminiscing about his playing days at Viejas Arena, there is unfinished business, games to be played, memories to be made and goals to be accomplished.

“What I hope to accomplish is (to) go out with victories,” Tapley said. “The last three years I’ve been here, I’ve been on teams that have won 20 games and that’s what I want to continue to do win over 20 games and go deep into the tournament, go out with a bang.”