World Beat

5-year-old accused of terrorism for playing with a bubble gun

An ongoing legal battle continues regarding a 5-year-old girl’s suspension from a Pennsylvania elementary school for making “terroristic threats” while playing with a Hello Kitty bubble gun.

According to CNN, on Jan. 10, the young girl was talking with fellow students about a “princess” bubble blower and a Hello Kitty bubble gun.  She is reported to have said: “I’ll shoot you, you shoot me, and we’ll all play together.”

Although no play weapons were reported to be in her possession, the student was suspended for 10 days, which was later shortened to two.  Meetings with a therapist indicated the girl seemed to have no malicious intent, although she was aware of the recent Sandy Hook shooting. Her family plans to fight for a formal apology from the school and a dismissal of the suspension from her permanent record.

College campus shooting in Texas

On Tuesday, three people were injured in a shooting at a community college campus in Houston and a fourth bystander suffered from a heart attack during the shooting.

According to CNN, the two perpetrators of the shooting were detained after sustaining injuries from the gun-involved dispute.  As of Tuesday, no charges were filed and no official arrests were made.

Jed Young, a school spokesman, said there were more than 10,000 students on campus at the time of the shooting. The campus re-opened yesterday after everyone was evacuated from campus during the incident.

World Beat