Love Guru solves relationship conundrums

Player at Parma Payne: Love Guru, I need your help! I’m in a bit of a pickle between two girls that I think are really great. I’ve gone on a couple dates with both of them, and they were generally a lot of fun. The problem is, neither girl knows about the other. Each one has advantages against the other, but I don’t know who to choose and how to let the other one down. Tell me, wise one, how do I resolve this situation without burning two bridges at once?

Love Guru: First off, I can’t help but chuckle to myself a little bit about your situation. This predicament that you’re in is nobody’s fault but your own, my man. Here’s an analogy for you: You were supposed to just go to the diner, but you ended up at the all-you-can-eat buffet and now you’re sick because you ate too much. The translation? Don’t bite off more than you can chew, dude. Courting one lady is hard enough, but putting yourself between two who don’t know about each other is like jumping headfirst into shark-infested waters. I commend your bravery, but pity your ignorance.

Now that I’ve given you some life advice, let’s get down to your relationship troubles. Firstly, you need to decide on what you want from your next relationship. Is one of these girls more eligible to be your girlfriend than the other? If this is the case, quickly make your decision and tell them what’s up—the longer you wait, the uglier the end result will be. Like I always say, honesty is the best policy, so you need to man up and tell these girls the truth. As for the girl who doesn’t get to go out with you, make your confessions and apologize. If you’re lucky, she won’t hate you, but don’t hold your breath. From now on, avoid getting into double  trouble and your dating life will be much easier. Good luck, man.

Awkward Affection: I really like this guy who I work with. How do I tell him without making it awkward at work?

Love Guru: Getting romantic with coworkers can be a tricky situation. If you want to pursue him, I’d make sure you’re really serious and it’s not just a fleeting crush. If you two do hit it off and things eventually end, it could be a bad situation at work and you need to take that into consideration before you make any moves. Once you are positive this is what you want, I’d start out by asking him to hang out casually. Try to ease into more than a friendship, but be open from the start. If you get the opportunity to make things more serious, tell him you don’t want to jeopardize your work relationship. The best thing to do is make some rules before anything happens. Sometimes trying to pursue a relationship with a coworker isn’t worth the negative aftermath.

Montezuma Movers: My boyfriend and I have been dating for about a year now. Everything is going great between us and I want to take our relationship to the next level. What I mean is, I want us to move in together, but I don’t get the sense that he is on board with the idea, which bothers me. I don’t want this to be the roadblock that ends our wonderful relationship. What should I do?

Love Guru: First off, the only way that this conundrum will ruin your relationship is if you let it—so drop the negative outlook and see the silver lining. You’ve been in a relationship for a year now, which is no easy feat, and shows that you two are committed.  If you haven’t already, sit down and talk with your man about how you feel. However, don’t be too pushy when you suggest moving in together. It can be a life-changing decision that must be mutually agreed upon in order for it to work successfully. If you try too hard to get him to move in with you, it may deter him enough to the point of a break up. One thing you can try is a mock live-in for a week or so. This will give you a chance to test the waters of living together to see if it would even work out.  Bring small pieces of furniture and a few other posessions to your partner’s house to recreate the feeling of living together. Try taking turns cooking dinner and doing household chores. I’m not telling you to act like an old married couple—rather, I’m suggesting you partially live out your dream to better understand what it truly means to live together. Again, this is no easy decision to make and, when the time is right, I think you’ll know when to make the move.