Preparing taxes: There’s an app for that

Students looking for assistance with taxes need look no further than campus to get help crunching numbers, Chelsea Massey / Staff Photographer

There’s nothing quite like the feeling of crunching numbers and digging up old receipts when tax season comes around.

Those who have prepared tax returns before know it can be a tedious and confusing process, and it may be worth paying a professional to do them instead. For college students just entering the workforce, the thought of putting everything in order can be overwhelming. Instead of scrambling, stressing or screaming, these are a few ways students can find help preparing their taxes at no cost.

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program is perhaps one of the great hidden gems at San Diego State. Through VITA, Internal Revenue Service trained and certified SDSU accounting students help prepare federal, state and local tax returns for free.
Run by the Charles W. Lamden School of Accountancy, VITA has been offering free tax preparation to the SDSU community for the past 35 years. Not exclusive to students and faculty, the program extends its services to low-income families living in the College Area as well as those who are not self-employed.

Accounting professor Gene Whittenburg stands behind the long-running volunteer program and believes students should take advantage of the service while they can.

“We prepare about 400 to 500 tax returns each year on campus,” Whittenburg said. “We act like a free certified public accountant for students and people who live around the school.”

Obtaining help is as simple as heading to campus, no appointment is necessary. Volunteers are available Saturdays from 9 to 10:30 a.m. and Mondays from 4 to 5:30 p.m. until April 11 in East Business Administration, room 113. Help will be given to the first 30 taxpayers who arrive at each session.

Want to take on the task alone? In the past few years, preparing tax returns has become a much simpler activity for the average Joe. Computer programs such as TurboTax help taxpayers prepare returns with ease from home.

TurboTax provides step-by-step guidance for those lost in a sea of numbers. With incredibly accurate calculations and help centers for people who need a little extra attention, TurboTax appeals to those who want to prepare taxes on their own.
Ready to take tax prep to the small screen? Tech-savvy taxpayers may have already discovered it is now possible to easily prepare taxes and even check up on a refund status with a smart phone.

The Android and iPhone provide a number of apps for people who want to stay updated on tax information.

Owners of iPhones can experience a modern twist to the standard shoe box full of receipts. The Shoebox application allows people to take pictures of receipts, sending the data to professionals where it is verified. Similarly, H&R Block Tax Center, Tax Caster and SnapTax are all available for both the Android and iPhone. While viewing tax information on a smaller screen may be slightly more difficult, these apps are gaining popularity.

For college students intimidated at the thought of doing their own taxes, remember: There’s an app for that.