Park-2-Park is an experience, not a shuttle

Julie Romig / Staff Photographer

Parking is a serious issue in San Diego, especially for the adventurous types who like to explore the city. For those who wish to do so sans car, the shuttle service Park-2-Park may be of interest.

Omar Passons and his wife started the event-based service this past Earth Day as a way to explore the communities of North Park, South Park, University Heights and Normal Heights.

“Our goal is to make sure that everyone who rides 8212; from 20-somethings to the empty-nesters 8212; can really enjoy getting around our neighborhoods without a car,” Passons said.

The concept is simple: Create a safe and fun alternative for people to see and participate in new, interesting events around certain areas of San Diego. The shuttle now only operates for various tours and events, whereas last summer it ran every Friday and Saturday.

The Park-2-Park website offers a calendar with local happenings as well as a schedule of the shuttle services each month. The site also has a map of the area around the shuttle route, complete with pickup and drop-off locations for the events.

Tickets are available online and depending on the event, prices range from $5 to $35 per rider, with special discounts for pre-sale and group purchases.

Passons said a typical rider is someone who wants to eat great food or see a cool show, has an adventurous spirit and hates the hassle of driving.

In the past, Park-2-Park has offered brewery tours, music festivals, art shows and game nights. It’s had live, indie rock musicians play on the shuttle, and Passons said they hope to get a disc jockey to spin during an upcoming event.

“For people who live in North Park, South Park, University Heights and Normal Heights, these are more than communities with great bars and restaurants,” Passons said. “They are great places to live. We want to foster all the good things about the area.”

On Oct. 23, the Park-2-Park crew will offer “Craft Beer with the Expert,” an event that will guide participants through a beer tasting at Blind Lady Ale House, complete with pizza and a pouring of a new brew from Automatic Brewing Co.

For anyone looking to break away from the campus bubble and try something new, Park-2-Park is sure to please.

For more information, visit SDPark2Park.com.