Executive Vice President Candidates

Name: Kyle Anderberg

Position running for: Executive Vice President

Major: Civil Engineering

Year: Junior

My experience:

Throughout the past two years, I have held executive positions in Sigma Alpha Epsilon as the vice president last year and I’m currently treasurer. I held the position of activities director of the Interfraternity Council in the spring of 2012, organizing a Greek Week that motivated more than 2,000 Greek students to raise nearly $30,000 for Communities United for Reviving East Africa. Currently, I’m the Associated Students council representative for the College of Engineering. In October, I was hired as the Aztec Warrior mascot.

What I would do differently than my predecessor…

In order to get students excited for events, I want to show them I care about enhancing the San Diego State experience for everyone on campus. Releasing videos which has the capability of going viral will keep students informed and enthusiastic about events.

If I could change one thing about SDSU…

I would increase student turnout at all campus events. More involvement will create a more welcoming environment for all students to be excited about. This will increase their love for SDSU, even after they walk across the graduation stage, breeding Alumni that feel obligated to give back to the university that prepared them for the world in front of them.

If elected, my No. 1 priority would be…

It will be to give all students here at SDSU an unforgettable experience. Years spent at our wonderful university should be cherished even after we leave this campus. My priority is to make sure every student leaves this campus as an Aztec for life.

Fun Fact:

I have performed in the Sydney Opera House.

Name: Jon Davidi

Major: Political Science

Year: Junior

My experience…

I currently hold the position of Associated Student Government restructuring committee chair, I have been the Jewish Student Union representative on A.S. Council, a resident adviser for the past two years, and I’ve even been a part of San Diego State’s improv comedy team Iota Eta Pi for the last three years.

The gift of leadership is about enhancing what already exists. Channelle McNutt has laid a good foundation and my plan is to take a more focused approach on the Aztec Student Union and campus programming to provide students with the optimal experiences they deserve.

If I could change one thing about SDSU…

SDSU was the No. 1 small research university in the nation, yet students still face an uphill battle in finding research opportunities.  We need to take advantage of the research opportunities provided by our university, as they can make our students more competitive for the workforce and graduate schools. My idea is to create an online research database for students to find out which professors are looking for research assistants and vice-versa.

If elected, my No. 1 priority would be…

My first goal is to make A.S. more transparent and increase student involvement.  I want to work with the residence halls to provide first-year students opportunities for leadership so they can start early and blossom into the great leaders SDSU needs, while making A.S. less intimidating than it may seem now.

Fun fact:

I can read, write and speak three different languages. (English, Farsi, Spanish)

Name: Dillon Roark

Major: Political Science, Minor in Economics and ISCOR

Year: Senior

My experience…

To describe my experience as a public leader would be to define my personality as a whole. I strive for correctness and have developed a unique style of leadership that has allowed me to be a successful member of the External Affairs Board, Pre-Law Society, Aztec Racing Formula SAE Team, a novice debater and vice president of my fraternity. In taking these leadership positions, I have grown and developed into a well-rounded individual ready to take on the challenges at the university level.

If elected, I would incorporate the new Associated Students’ structure and Aztec Union into campus life. Next year provides a unique opportunity for student leadership and involvement and I am excited and ready to lead that upcoming effort with my well-developed leadership style.

If I could change one thing about SDSU…

It would have to be involvement and integration of student organizations. As our own Dr. James Kitchen puts it, “If academics are the heart of the university, student engagement is the soul.” This quote speaks truth and brings light to the importance of student involvement on campus. By creating a more cordial atmosphere among student organizations, I see more of the student body getting involved and living up to what Aztecs should be.

If elected, my No. 1 priority would be…

If elected, my No. 1 priority would be student engagement. Although broadly stated, I find student engagement to be one of the most important aspects of college, and especially of this campus. This next year provides a truly unique opportunity to make a difference on this campus and, with the introduction of the new Student Union and A.S. structure, now is the time to really hone in and engage with students.

Name: Becca Cohen

Position running for: A.S. Executive Vice President

Major: Hospitality & Tourism Management: Meetings & Events Emphasis

Year: Junior

My experience:

As your current voice for 1,500 women in the Panhellenic community with two terms of experience on Associated Students Council, I’ve had the opportunity to be a voting board member of Cultural Arts Special Events, University Affairs Advisory Board, Student Affairs Board, A.S. Restructuring subcommittee, Rotaract  of SDSU and cochair of the 2012 SDSU Homecoming. I also currently serve as the meetings coordinator for the Meetings and Events Student Association in addition to serving on the executive board of the Panhellenic Association.

I would do differently than my predecessor…

I truly believe Channelle McNutt has gone above and beyond with her position, and I plan to continue building off of what she has established by instilling in every student that we are all Aztecs for life. I plan to push operations utilizing the New Aztec Student Union; creating a heartbeat to campus in programming, and further enhancing the Aztec experience for all students, faculty and community.

If I could change one thing about SDSU…

The fact that approximately 2 percent of alumni give back to our campus annually is something I want to change by the end of my term. My goal is to improve alumni relations, starting with campus engagement at the undergraduate level. By enhancing the student experience, I will take full advantage of the ability to program for the new Student Union this coming fall and outreach leadership opportunities for more students.

If elected, my No. 1 priority would be…

Ensuring every student feels connected on campus—from collaborating with your organizations, alumni, athletics and students at large, together unifying the campus to love being an Aztec for life.

Fun fact:

Upon graduation, I hope to plan events and fundraisers for a local nonprofit with my long-term goal to one day start my own women empowerment nonprofit; advocating for endorsing more women in the federal government.

Executive Vice President Candidates