North Korea poses minimal threat to U.S.

Earlier this week, North Korea’s nuclear strike threat on the U.S. proved to be futile. However, South Korea and Japan are still at risk of missile attack.

According to Reuters, North Korea’s military is larger in both troops and equipment than South Korea’s. North Korea has approximately 1.2 million soldiers, while South Korea only has 640,000.

Although North Korea’s military may be substantially larger, it is incapable of fighting  sustained battles because of scarce resources, according to Reuters. North Korea has concentrated on nuclear weapons and ballistic missile technology rather than running a conventional military.

“A conventional military is very costly, and overwhelmingly so for North Korea. It quickly becomes a money fight and North Korea cannot win that,” head of the Korea Defence Network Shin In-kyun told Reuters.

In December, a defense policy statement from South Korea stated North Korea’s frontline artillery is capable of launching shells on Seoul, South Korea’s capital.

North Korea’s vast amount of weaponry includes an arsenal of intermediate range missiles, some of which can launch more than 4,100 miles, according to The Huffington  Post. This puts South Korea, Japan and Guam within range.

North Korea has also shown limited capabilities in cyber and submarine warfare along with attacks on communication and utility networks in the South, according to Reuters.

Last Thursday’s threat of a nuclear strike against the U.S. provoked questions about North Korea’s nuclear capabilities.

Reuters states that though North Korea claims to have developed a miniaturized nuclear weapon, experts say the country is years away from being able to harm the U.S.