Two down, two to go

Photo by Caitlin Johnson

As of tonight, Comic-Con is already half done. Somewhat of a sad sentiment, but honestly I’m not sure if my tired body could handle much more.

"Just Dance 2014" encourages attendees to get their groove on the dance floor. Photo by Caitlin Johnson
“Just Dance 2014” encourages attendees to get their groove on the dance floor. Photo by Caitlin Johnson

The crowds were out in full-force, Friday probably being the busiest day next to Saturday. There were so many things happening all at once it was impossible to see them all. I began the morning at a rather slow pace, opting to stalk Nintendo’s gaming lounge just before it opened to score some awesome free goodies. They spared no expense at continuing the tradition of creating a party for con-goers outside of the convention center. Numerous kiosks lined the disco-like ballroom of the nearby Marriott Hotel, inviting gamers to experience upcoming titles for Wii U and 3DS. Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3 were among my favorites. Original titles such as the Wonderful 101 were also intriguing and surprisingly fun.

I briefly joined Entertainment editor David Dixon for the last part of Stan Lee’s “Web of Heroes” panel. The man may be getting on in years, but in no way has he lost his spunk. Just about everything he says is comic book gold.

Lunchtime took me to the back steps of the convention center, overlooking the harbor. I had coincidentally arrived just in time to watch the Society for Creative Anachronism as they sparred, much to the entertainment of the growing crowd. Their weapons may not be made of steel and wood, but I still wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of one. Once the group finished its demonstration, they invited onlookers to pick up a sword and try their own might against the armor-clad champions.

Photo by Caitlin Johnson

The rest of the day was spent perusing the aisles in search of nothing in particular. I’ve found that by letting the excitement come to you, you tend to notice things you might not have before. Rushing to maintain schedules and trying to see everything isn’t always the best way to do things. Sometimes it’s nice to just sit back and let the day take you where it will. I finished my evening with an on-the-house chilled beer, courtesy of Gamespot’s “Base Station” in the Gaslamp. Take my word for it—there’s no greater end to the day than sitting back and people-watching at Comic-Con.

Photo by Caitlin Johnson
Photo by Caitlin Johnson
Two down, two to go