News Brief – 2/20/2011

Boy confesses to Acejo murder
Last week, it was reported by both The San Diego Union-Tribune and KPBS that a 17-year-old boy confessed to the murder of San Diego instructor Henry Acejo. According to reports, the teen worked at a restaurant Acejo frequented in Tijuana and the two were engaged in an intimate relationship. Baja California State Attorney General Rommel Moreno Manjarrez released a statement last Wednesday about the confession. It states that on the night of Dec. 18, Acejo and the boy in custody engaged in physical altercation which led to the fatal stabbing of Acejo. At the time of the stabbing, there were two other people in the apartment who helped in capturing Acejo’s suspected killer. According to the newspaper article, the fight was started by “a sexual problem.” The teen in custody could face up to 10 years in prison.

Football coaching salaries increased
The salaries of the San Diego State football coaching staff increased by 18 percent since last year and have almost doubled since 2005, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune. The recent salary increases were funded by a $1.2 million donation. It was reported that head coach Rocky Long’s salary is $800,000, which is $125,000 more than former head coach Brady Hoke was making. The football coaching staff is comprised of 10 people whose combined annual salaries equal $2.275 million. Both Long and Athletic Director Jim Sterk argued the importance of having a competitive salary for the position to attract the best staff.

Audit finds troubling practices at SDSU Research Foundation, Campanile Foundation
State auditors found auxiliary groups at San Diego State and Cal State San Marcos “failed to properly account for gifts or other revenue, and permitted other practices that violated rules and policies,” according to The San Diego Union-Tribune. The SDSU Research Foundation may have held more than $1.1 million in its accounts improperly, as well as accepted gifts to the Campanile Foundation, which would violate its operating agreement. The studies “revealed certain conditions that, in our opinion, could result in errors and irregularities if not corrected,” auditors wrote, according to the article. The foundation disagreed with the state auditors’ $1.1 million finding, but concurred with other findings, all of which were presented in a report to the CSU Board of Trustees last month, but agreed that a series of recommendations from the auditors could be enacted.

—Compiled by News Editor Sarah Kovash and Editor In Chief Ruthie Kelly

News Brief – 2/20/2011