The Roommate Ps & Qs

by Kelly Hillock

Although the sticky heat of summer lingers, the fall semester has officially begun. With new roommates and a apartment, a living situation can be more stressful than Chemistry 200. The roommate relationship is a precarious one, as resentment can easily brew from a case of leftover lasagna and stolen toilet paper. With the start of a new semester, remember to use the Ps and Qs for a comfortable living arrangement.

Photo courtesy of ThinkStock

Photo courtesy of ThinkStock

1.   Privacy

Sharing a bedroom and bathroom with a friend or mere acquaintance means you have less privacy than you would like. Not only is your roommate forced to see your bedhead and smell your morning breath, you are obligated to respect each other’s privacy. Do not borrow your roommate’s clothes without asking or decide to have a lingering conversation while someone is in the shower. Be respectful of their privacy and they will be respectful of yours.

Photo courtesy of ThinkStock

Photo courtesy of ThinkStock

2.   Personalities

When living with someone, you see all facets of their personality, and everyone has their idiosyncrasies. Part of the roommate relationship is accepting your roommate’s quirks and weird behavior. Everyone has heard a horror story of a dictator roommate who leaves passive-aggressive notes or demands complete silence after 9 p.m. Don’t be that roommate. Remember to respect your roommate’s personality and personal space. Being flexible is necessary to living happily. Unless your roommate is leaving half-eaten California burritos on the counter or dirty laundry out, then you are granted one Post-It note.

Photo courtesy of ThinkStock

Photo courtesy of ThinkStock

3.   Partners

Being sexiled is an undesirable experience. If more roommates verbally communicated with each other, instead of sending messages through a sock on the door, a lot of angst could be avoided. So, be open with your roommate if you plan on having a significant other overnight. No one is keen on waking up in the middle of the night to sounds other than snoring. Try to make plans for when your roommate is out of town or, at the very least, give each other a heads up. If you roll your eyes when you’re locked out of your room, chances are your roommate does the same thing when it happens to them. Remember to set clear boundaries with each other and you’ll never have to Tweet about sleeping on the couch.

Photo courtesy of ThinkStock

Photo courtesy of ThinkStock

4.   Partying

Be mindful of your roommate’s schedule. By the third time you’ve forgotten your keys and are banging on the door to your apartment at 3 a.m. on a Wednesday, your roommate is probably plotting your demise. Partying is an integral part of the college experience, but that doesn’t mean it’s a hobby that needs to take control of your home life. Roommates should be able to take care of each other, when the need arises, but no one wants to live with the roommate that is dependent on that notion.

Photo courtesy of ThinkStock

Photo courtesy of ThinkStock

5.   Quiet

Your place should be a sanctuary to rest, relax and recharge for all your roommates. Whether it’s study time or nap time, keeping a peaceful atmosphere is conducive for a healthy and happy living environment. Even if you and your roommates host weekly parties, it’s still important to maintain an atmosphere where you can escape from the stress and pressures of classes and work. Not to mention a nap in the library chairs can’t compare to a spontaneous nap on your own bed.

After all, you’re in this together. If you mind your Ps and Qs, then you are sure to have a happy, peaceful home away from home.

About the Writer
Kelly Hillock, Editor in Chief

Kelly Hillock is the editor in chief for The Daily Aztec for the 2015-16 academic year. She is a senior studying  public relations and English here at...