Aztecs take home two medals in World Cup

San Diego State represented fairly well this summer at the Federation of International Lacrosse Women’s Lacrosse World Cup in Oshawa, Ontario as two Aztecs took home a medal for their respective country.

On Saturday, July 20, Aztec women’s lacrosse head coach Kylee White helped lead Canada to a silver medal after dropping the gold medal game to the U.S. 19-5. Team Canada finished in second place and 5-2 overall in the tournament, which included two victories against Australia, one of them being the semifinal game. As head coach, White competed in this tournament against one of her very own players.

Aztec senior midfielder Isabelle Pickett, represented her respective country Australia, as she helped her team receive the bronze medal. The Australians finished the World Cup tournament 4-3 overall, and defeated England 12-6 in the Bronze medal game.

Pickett playing in her first World Cup tournament finished a statistics line of one goal, one assist, three draw controls, two ground balls and two caused turnovers. As a junior last season at SDSU, Pickett finished her best season yet as an Aztec after appearing in all 16 games. She concluded her junior year finishing with eight goals and five assists for a total of 13 points on the season, along with 15 draw controls.

White, a defender for Team Canada is currently entering her third season as head coach and finished playing in her fourth World Cup. White finished with a tournament statistics line of five ground balls and two caused turnovers.

The Aztecs finished last season with an 8-8 overall record and 3-5 in conference play. As SDSU enters its third season in school history, White will now turn her attention to improving the women’s lacrosse program.

In 2014, Pickett will enter her senior season, which marks her final year of eligibility playing women’s lacrosse at SDSU. With the experience of World Cup play on their side, the future looks bright for the Aztecs. They will have nearly the entire team returning for the 2014 season.